Myles Kennedy Signature PRS

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
maximzub
On The Rail

Myles Kennedy Signature PRS

Post by maximzub »

I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Myles Kennedy Signature PRS

Post by Andy92 »

The concept behind this guitar works well as a complement to Mark’s in a mix. The Narrowfield pickups in the Paul’s Guitar line sit between a single coil and a full humbucker, and it seems like they put a bit more output into Myles’ set. They wouldn’t be my main choice for hard rock, but since Mark’s pickups are already full on high output with more scooped mids, they work well as a mid range focused complement with some of that snappiness in sound single coils provide. Swamp ash as the tone wood is a solid choice for that kind of sound.

Seems like a solid take on a Tele style guitar with some more modern features. Curious to dive into some videos of this vs the NF 53 to see what the differences are. I’m assuming the NF 53 goes for more vintage sounding pickups whereas Myles’ got the somewhat higher output flavor.

Really happy for Myles. He’s been a staple PRS player for a long time now, so this one really does feel long overdue. I’m glad he got in on a ground-up design rather than “a McCarty with MK printed on it”.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Oh shiiiiiit, that's so awesome for Myles!
Andy92 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:45 pm Really happy for Myles. He’s been a staple PRS player for a long time now, so this one really does feel long overdue. I’m glad he got in on a ground-up design rather than “a McCarty with MK printed on it”.
Yup, love that he's done a Mark and got PRS to introduce a competitor's body shape :lol I guess his flirting with teles a few years back finally spurred Paul into doing something about it.
For all of the hope that it brings...

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

it's so pretty!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

That's Awesome. It's Beautiful! :)

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Why didn't Paul just say 13 years?

Post by zazthespaz »

I remember going to a PRS event in NYC where Paul and Myles were hanging out in a famous guitar store (I forget which one) talking PRS and took some questions and one guy asked when Myles was getting his own guitar. Myles turned to Paul and said "Yeah?" jokingly. I think that was in between Blackbird and ABIII while Creed was touring so glad that question finally paid off 13 years later :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Looks and sounds gorgeous from what I've seen on Youtube. I've heard some misspent gripes by edgy online gatekeeper/boomer types! I have NO problem with Paul Reed Smith creating his vision of a Telecaster whatsoever. I'm no gear snob... And if the signature model is collaborating and recognizing such an underrated guitar-slinger as Myles Kennedy, all the better! I've contemplated owning a Tele for a hot minute now... If it were a little closer to my price range, Myles' would be the one I'd choose!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:21 pm Looks and sounds gorgeous from what I've seen on Youtube. I've heard some misspent gripes by edgy online gatekeeper/boomer types! I have NO problem with Paul Reed Smith creating his vision of a Telecaster whatsoever. I'm no gear snob... And if the signature model is collaborating and recognizing such an underrated guitar-slinger as Myles Kennedy, all the better! I've contemplated owning a Tele for a hot minute now... If it were a little closer to my price range, Myles' would be the one I'd choose!
You’ll get some of that in the guitar community depending on what people’s favorite brands are.

The most legitimate gripe I’ve seen from people (and this is a PRS thing in general more than Myles’ model) is the pricing. You can get a comparable made in America Fender Tele for around $2,200 when PRS wants $2,900 for almost the same thing. They already did this kind of pricing with the Silver Sky compared to a comparable made in America Strat.

Custom shop quality guitars run around $5k - $6k for both companies, but when it comes to production line made in USA models, Fender is still offering a better deal. Really comes down to how much you like the Narrowfield pickup design PRS has going on.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Andy92 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:45 pm The concept behind this guitar works well as a complement to Mark’s in a mix. The Narrowfield pickups in the Paul’s Guitar line sit between a single coil and a full humbucker, and it seems like they put a bit more output into Myles’ set. They wouldn’t be my main choice for hard rock, but since Mark’s pickups are already full on high output with more scooped mids, they work well as a mid range focused complement with some of that snappiness in sound single coils provide. Swamp ash as the tone wood is a solid choice for that kind of sound.
Ah, summer. The perfect season for swamp ash.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:33 am
UninvitedZero wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:21 pm Looks and sounds gorgeous from what I've seen on Youtube. I've heard some misspent gripes by edgy online gatekeeper/boomer types! I have NO problem with Paul Reed Smith creating his vision of a Telecaster whatsoever. I'm no gear snob... And if the signature model is collaborating and recognizing such an underrated guitar-slinger as Myles Kennedy, all the better! I've contemplated owning a Tele for a hot minute now... If it were a little closer to my price range, Myles' would be the one I'd choose!
You’ll get some of that in the guitar community depending on what people’s favorite brands are.

The most legitimate gripe I’ve seen from people (and this is a PRS thing in general more than Myles’ model) is the pricing. You can get a comparable made in America Fender Tele for around $2,200 when PRS wants $2,900 for almost the same thing. They already did this kind of pricing with the Silver Sky compared to a comparable made in America Strat.

Custom shop quality guitars run around $5k - $6k for both companies, but when it comes to production line made in USA models, Fender is still offering a better deal. Really comes down to how much you like the Narrowfield pickup design PRS has going on.
It is pretty pricey for what it is. The MK especially doesn't really show the wood with any fancy finishes and there's no particular carve to the top, that would usually justify the price. If it's like the Silver Sky, you might not even get a case with it. I would be interested to try one... Having said that, though, the CE24 I bought years ago for £1,800 is about as much as I would ever want to spend on brand new guitar without winning the lottery.
Last edited by Crumbso on Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Crumbso wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:39 am It is pretty pricey for what it is. The MK especially doesn't really show the wood with any fancy finishes and there's no particular carve to the top, that would usually justify the price. If it's like the Silver Sky, you might not even get a case with it. I would be interested to try one... having said that. The CE24 I bought years ago for £1,800 is about as much as I would ever want to spend on brand new guitar without winning the lottery.
It comes with a gig bag rather than a hard case like the Silver Sky. In general I don’t mind that if the extra money is going towards making the guitar more premium, but that isn’t really the case here when you look at the specs and features.

My other general PRS gripe is Paul’s refusal to use stainless steel frets. I’ve heard him say nickel frets “sound better” but I’ll take 99% tone and the quality of stainless steel.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Y'all are a bunch of overanalyzing nerds. I just wanna play the damn thing already.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:33 am

Somehow in the UK they're charging £3000 :lol I know we usually just change the dollar sign to a pound one and say "woo currency" but not seen them actually inflate it even further before. If it really doesn't have a hardcase that's just nuts. I guess these would be made/sold in far less number than a Strat/Tele so there's the economics of scale, but still.

An SE version would be very interesting, though.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Ubik wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:33 am Somehow in the UK they're charging £3000 :lol I know we usually just change the dollar sign to a pound one and say "woo currency" but not seen them actually inflate it even further before. If it really doesn't have a hardcase that's just nuts. I guess these would be made/sold in far less number than a Strat/Tele so there's the economics of scale, but still.

I reckon the SE version is going to be the money maker for them, much like the Silver Sky.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

maximzub wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:17 am Y'all are a bunch of overanalyzing nerds. I just wanna play the damn thing already.
Overanalyzing is what you want to do when you’re talking about a $3,000 purchase lol
Crumbso wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:51 am
Ubik wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:33 am Somehow in the UK they're charging £3000 :lol I know we usually just change the dollar sign to a pound one and say "woo currency" but not seen them actually inflate it even further before. If it really doesn't have a hardcase that's just nuts. I guess these would be made/sold in far less number than a Strat/Tele so there's the economics of scale, but still.

I reckon the SE version is going to be the money maker for them, much like the Silver Sky.
The SE version might use full humbuckers too instead of the Narrowfields which makes it easier to swap other pickups. I think the Narrowfields require a bit of a unique cut for the body cavity.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Andy92 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:11 pm
maximzub wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:17 am Y'all are a bunch of overanalyzing nerds. I just wanna play the damn thing already.
Overanalyzing is what you want to do when you’re talking about a $3,000 purchase lol
I wasn't talking about the price. I was talking about overanalyzing the sound based on the type of wood that the guitar is made of, or the type of metal the frets are made of.
Crumbso wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:51 am

I bet. Might also make it more affordable.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

maximzub wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:02 pm
Andy92 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:11 pm
I wasn't talking about the price. I was talking about overanalyzing the sound based on the type of wood that the guitar is made of, or the type of metal the frets are made of.
I think the wood does make a fairly significant difference. When it comes to frets I only care about comfort and durability.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:11 pm The SE version might use full humbuckers too instead of the Narrowfields which makes it easier to swap other pickups. I think the Narrowfields require a bit of a unique cut for the body cavity.
That's true. I've had an NF3 before and wasn't super impressed with the narrowfield pickups in that. Will be interesting to try these newer ones out.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

:lol
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013