A Dying Machine Novel Pre-order/Discussion Thread

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: A Dying Machine Novel Pre-order/Discussion Thread

Post by Andy92 »

As the books start to be shipped out, I would ask that everyone try to keep their thoughts on the actual content of the novel confined to this thread. Sucks to run across book spoilers in random places.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:As the books start to be shipped out, I would ask that everyone try to keep their thoughts on the actual content of the novel confined to this thread. Sucks to run across book spoilers in random places.
*post spoiler-filled review in Bootleg Exchange section*

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: Basically, cover up all the adjacent titles with it

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:I've been holding out on the pre-order as I'd much rather just go buy it in person in a store, or get it on the Kindle store, but I have no idea if either of those are going to be options. Kinda thinking I should just do the pre-order. Really looking forward to this story...
Any word on whether Barnes & Noble or other major bookstores will carry it? If so, I'd like to go and "increase its visibility".
Haven't heard anything, and I'm not seeing anything about the book anywhere online other than Fret12. Seems like that might be it. :/
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Got an email saying the book is "on its way" (although only the shipping label was created) :rockon :peace :dance :headbang :mtrocks IM SO EXCITED TO READ IT!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Yassssssss!!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Got a 2nd email saying the same thing as the first email ("its on its way") :headscratch:

But I got another email from Fret 12 shortly after saying I was refunded the total cost of the shipping for the novel so I dont know whats going on... :shrug :headscratch Free Shipping?

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Do you guys think its possible the books got lost/damaged and thats why I received the new emails?

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Not sure but I'm glad I checked here first before I was about to pre-order! Want to make sure there aren't any major shipping issues...

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

I'm surprised no one has posted anything about the book yet.

I just started it yesterday, about a third of the way through. It's not a very long book but I'm a slow reader.

The only reason I bought the book was out of curiosity to see if Mark is any good as an author. However, I'm actually quite enjoying it so far. It's a bit strange reading a sex scene with all the usual details therein and then thinking jeez... my favorite rock star guitarist wrote that haha.

Anyways I only have one complaint right now and it may be because lately I've been reading a ton of Stephen King and am used to a more drawn out way of story telling, but the plot in A Dying Machine seems very rushed. It feels like the 100 pages that I've read so far could easily be 200. With that said I'd like to reiterate that I am definitely enjoying it so far.

Im interested to hear what other people think about the book!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I haven’t started mine yet. I’m halfway through another book right now so I’m not sure if I’ll take a break on that book to read A Dying Machine now or if I’ll wait until I’m not currently reading something else. It’s only 300 pages so I might take a break to read through it relatively quickly.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Still have not received this. Not even a shipping notification. i ordered it at the EU-wensite from Fret12. I opened a ticket towards Fret12 customer service. Also no reply untill now. I'm getting increased irritated about this. This is nowhere close to how I experienced Fret12 in the past.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

riemslag1 wrote:Still have not received this. Not even a shipping notification. i ordered it at the EU-wensite from Fret12. I opened a ticket towards Fret12 customer service. Also no reply untill now. I'm getting increased irritated about this. This is nowhere close to how I experienced Fret12 in the past.
Same here. Didn't mail anyone yet, but was about to. No update on the order whatsoever yet.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

My friend received it yesterday. We live in Switzerland and he ordered it through the EU fret12 store

RoelSmoel
Isolated

Post by RoelSmoel »

What I heard is that they shipped all the EU Fret12 orders all together to the UK from where they're being sent out to the customers.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Yes, ideed, that was also confirmed to me by fret12. Saves us all the import-charges. I
was told the EU-store-orders start shipping today !

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

I'm in Australia and mine arrived yesterday!

I'm the first chapter in and liking it so far. Bit strange thinking that Tremonti wrote this but awesome at the same time. Sci-Fi is generally the genre I read so I'm enjoying this. Can't wait to see where it takes me.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Just finished the novel. A great read! Not sure how much of it was Mark or Shirely but for the most part it was hard to tell their writing styles apart for me, not sure if thats good or bad :lol :mtrocks

Being someone who almost never reads books these days, this was one of the first books I've willingly read in years, but it was an extremely easy read for the most part. Im pretty sure I did see some grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and missing words, though. So maybe they should have had someone look it over once more :eek But nothing is perfect! :peace So it didnt take any enjoyment from the experience, its just an observation I had.

I'll try not to spoil anything but I will say that from what I could understand from reading the book, it was hard for me to see where a lot of the songs from the album would actually take place in the book save for maybe 3 or 4. The rest I have no clue :/ :lol There was passages or sentences in the book that had almost the exact same wordage as the lyrics from songs so that was cool.

I wish the novel was a tad bit longer as the 300~ pages did feel rather short.

The A Dying Machine universe was fleshed out really well throughout the book and I found myself wishing a lot more that the album had a more fleshed out theme to it as well. Despite any negative reception It might have received for being too invested in the concept by some.

I'm still giving the book a strong 9/10 though :peace

#TEAM VESSELKIND

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

What size frame can i use to frame the signed card?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

The card is 5 1/2" x 8 1/2".
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah it’s a super standard size lol

Small pet peeve, but I would’ve preferred they just autographed the inside of the book. That’s usually where authors sign. Not really complaining though, the card is kinda cool to have as an extra. I just wondered why they printed those instead of just signing the actual books.