Cauterize Production

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: Cauterize Production

Post by chtimixeur »

Mark recently said he was pals with Jason Suecof.
Now, that's someone with a good ear and great skills as a producer.
I'm sure he'd help Tremonti differentiate itself from the Alter Bridge sound.

Bigus
Brand New Start

Post by Bigus »

Fish Tacos wrote:I still don't understand why people don't like Elvis. Usually when I look up the mixers they suggest the tracks sound underproduced to me. His work sounds fuller to me.
Ever hear a Metallica Album?
That sounds full.

Elvis should leave the building..........

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Bigus wrote:
Fish Tacos wrote:I still don't understand why people don't like Elvis. Usually when I look up the mixers they suggest the tracks sound underproduced to me. His work sounds fuller to me.
Ever hear a Metallica Album?
That sounds full.

Elvis should leave the building..........
Metallica's sound sucked on several albums imo. Not even mentioning the atrocious sound of Death Magnetic.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Metallica hasn't had a good sounding album since 1998.
St. Anger had some of the most horrible drums ever recorded. Death Magnetic was stupidly loud, and it took them 8 years to put a somewhat listenable version on iTunes and the Metstore. Hardwired to Self Destruct was a step in the right direction, but the drums were still way too compressed (especially after hearing some of the raw takes that sounded incredible), and the whole thing is very tame compared to their 1983-1998 releases.
Say what you want about Bob Rock's commercial sound, the guy knew how to make a band sound huge.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Aye. Despite the material, the Load & Re-Load albums sounded phenomenal from a production perspective. The Black Album is awesome but has somewhat dated because of the drum sound.

Bigus
Brand New Start

Post by Bigus »

chtimixeur wrote:Metallica hasn't had a good sounding album since 1998.
St. Anger had some of the most horrible drums ever recorded. Death Magnetic was stupidly loud, and it took them 8 years to put a somewhat listenable version on iTunes and the Metstore. Hardwired to Self Destruct was a step in the right direction, but the drums were still way too compressed (especially after hearing some of the raw takes that sounded incredible), and the whole thing is very tame compared to their 1983-1998 releases.
Say what you want about Bob Rock's commercial sound, the guy knew how to make a band sound huge.

iTunes?
I listen to mp3's when I golf, not at home on my main system.
I've never heard a bad Metallica recording on vinyl or CD.
I think there are a few bands that could learn a lesson from that. Tremonti and Alter Bridge included.

Don't get me wrong. I have every Alter Bridge and Tremonti album and love the music.
A wishlist would be better recordings.
If they want to go with digital then why not DSD?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

St. Anger was well recorded but questionable instrument choices were made
Death Magnetic, the drum mixing and recording was an absolute crime and still to this day ruins a pretty damn good album. Even the remixes out there have the drums too loud.
Hardwired sounds pretty good, quite a modern sound but I like it.

I think that the early Rasmusen stuff is overated production-wise just because the material is so good. Master of Puppets is alright, Lightning slightly less so and Justice is a travesty, even worse than Death Magnetic. Kill em all is a glorified demo but it suits the material and energy.

Answer. Get Bob Rock in to record Tremonti and AB. It would sound f'in immense. He knows how to make a Mesa Boogie sound ridiculous and his drum sounds can't be beat. He never goes crazy with overdubs either and leaves plenty of space in a mix. His old school style would suit Tremonti with the thrash stuff too.

I mean god-damn. Listen to Fuel:

He does the atmospheric stuff really well too:

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

It makes me very curious how Bob Rocks production will sound on an AB or Tremonti record. Don't mean to bash Elvis, just wondering how it would sound.
We will never find out, but still.

Bigus
Brand New Start

Post by Bigus »

From what I've heard,
Rush, Pink Floyd and Metallica are hard to beat.
I feel Tremonti recordings can be so much better.

Cheers,

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

There have been several absolutely terribly produced Rush records (Presto, Vapour Trails & Clockwork Angels all come to mind) despite the material almost always being high quality.

Bigus
Brand New Start

Post by Bigus »

Crumbso wrote:There have been several absolutely terribly produced Rush records (Presto, Vapour Trails & Clockwork Angels all come to mind) despite the material almost always being high quality.
Respectively disagree. I think Clockwork Angles sounds great. I have it on Vinyl and it reminds me of old school 2112 and Hemispheres.
I'll add Godsmack to the good recording list as well.
In the end, my thoughts are that Tremonti recordings can be so much better. Period.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Bigus wrote:
Crumbso wrote:There have been several absolutely terribly produced Rush records (Presto, Vapour Trails & Clockwork Angels all come to mind) despite the material almost always being high quality.
Respectively disagree. I think Clockwork Angles sounds great. I have it on Vinyl and it reminds me of old school 2112 and Hemispheres.
I'll add Godsmack to the good recording list as well.
In the end, my thoughts are that Tremonti recordings can be so much better. Period.
The material is great, don't get me wrong, but I just instantly get ear-fatigue listening to CA. Everything is too up-front and loud and sounds flat as a consequence and there isn't any space in the mix.

It's all subjective but it's too much for me. I'm not a huge fan of Nick Raskulinecz, he did an alright job on S&A but he also muffed up Thornley's second album production-wise imho.