A Dying Machine Novel Pre-order/Discussion Thread

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: A Dying Machine Novel Pre-order/Discussion Thread

Post by fix »

riemslag1 wrote:and I actually paid for 2 and did not get them (untill now) !?
Is your order shipped yet?

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

I had 2 orders for in total 3 books.
I ordered for 2 friends also.
The order of 1 book I received.
The order of 2 books I did not receive, also no shipping email received, and Fret12 does not reply to my queries..............................

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

facelessman07 wrote:Does the novel leave room open for a sequel?
I know this was a few days ago, but I just finished the book this evening, and yes it does. The epilogue leaves a pretty nice setup for a new story down the road. It’s a book that has a good conclusion in and of itself (no huge cliffhanger or anything), but he’s definitely left enough to keep building off of this story.

I thought it was a great read, especially for a first-time novel from a musician. The story is pretty engaging and I had fun reading it. I found the action/war scenes to be some of the more poorly written ones, but I could live with that because the characters were fun to connect with and the dialog between them was usually engaging. It’s a cool twist on a fairly common sci-fi trope, and I like what Mark did with the idea.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

Soooo...does anyone have a copy of the book they'd like to sell?? Haha I want to order it to read it but it's sold out :(

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Speaking about that. At least, it's a good sign that the books are sold out. Last I heard though, Mark is still working with people to get a publishing deal for A Dying Machine. I guess once that's sorted, then more people can order the novel.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

anguyen92 wrote:^^ Speaking about that. At least, it's a good sign that the books are sold out. Last I heard though, Mark is still working with people to get a publishing deal for A Dying Machine. I guess once that's sorted, then more people can order the novel.
I’m assuming they’d have the option for Fret12 to have more printed to sell, but he seems to be using the first edition print of the book to show to other publishers as a way of saying, “if you sign me, I already have an audience that will buy.” Then the book publisher could give him better promotion to introduce a new audience.

Agneska
Brand New Start

Post by Agneska »

Hi All! I am brand new here. ^^ After reading this topic I would like to share my experience with my order as well.
I ordered the novel – album bundle on the 1st September, and I received the envelope today, the 6th November (I am in Europe).
I was so happy to receive it as I was waiting for it literally every day, but unfortunately I can’t be entirely happy. I did not receive the CD, the package contains the book, the signed book cover card and two stickers. If I know correctly, besides the CD there should have been a guitar pick as well, but it’s also missing.
I already sent an e-mail to the Fret12 team with my problem, but I am not sure what to expect. I really hope it can be sorted out, I so wanted to have the CD with my package as well…
Although of course I am very happy to have the book at least. ^^
I would like to check with you whether anyone had the same experience?

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

I would love it if Fret 12 could at least just release this in an E-book form on Amazon / Barnes & Noble. Couldn't be that hard to distribute something like that. There's no physical media involved to pay for!

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Hello Agneska, welcome over here !
Don’t worry !
My experience with the customer service of Fret12 is that they will solve any problem you report concerning received orders. Since they introduced the ticket-system it might take a little bit longer, but they will reply for sure !

Agneska
Brand New Start

Post by Agneska »

Thank you for your reply and the warm welcome, riemslag1! Indeed, they replied already that they will post the CD, and I received the order confirmation e-mail as well. Great customer care! ^^

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Huh. Decided to take a look to see if A Dying Machine novel was on Amazon and it is and can be pre-ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/Dying-Machine-Ma ... 1635766575

Would be released on November 5th, 2019....... Why such a long wait in comparison to buying it on Fret12?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Mark self-published the book through Fret12 first. This is the first release of the book under the new publishing company (I think).

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

anguyen92 wrote:Yeah, but still. Why wait a year after the first release date of the book though?
Well it takes time to shop for a publisher and work out a deal. Probably had to show that he had a bit of a fanbase to sell to as well.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

anguyen92 wrote:Yeah, but still. Why wait a year after the first release date of the book though?
As somebody who is currently in the process of getting my book published...

I can tell you that it can take over a year even AFTER you've signed a deal with a publisher for the book to actually release.. The reason being is that pubs get books ahead of time. They have a release window for books that can go ahead for even more than a year. Some books sell better depending on the season. Also, it takes a long time for the book to go through an editor, then rewrites, then proofs, then cover art, then advertising, then the release. This is a very, very long process. A publishing company, depending on its size, can have dozens of books in queue at a time, but releasing them at once would flood the market and especially hurt if the book hadn't been edited.

Just some insight. Most people spend years trying to get just published. For somebody who has never published a book before and already self-pub'd the book, it's impressive that someone actually picked the book up. Many places don't take books that have already been self published.