Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
malgus73
Brand New Start

Re: Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

Post by malgus73 »

Judging by the music video, the tuning for Wouldn't You Rather is Drop C. You can see Mark playing a Bb on the third fret of his fifth string at 0:27.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Post by The DIsposable Hero »

So after listening to it a bunch of times - I've realized that this is in a form of Drop C. But the ending chord with the top 2 strings ringing out like they do in C tuning is undeniable.

So what I'm thinking is that it might be in CGCFGC, or DADGAD a whole step down. You still have all the capabilities of Drop C that are necessary for the riffs in this song (5th fret harmonic on the 5th string for the main heavy riff), and you can play that ending chord I described in my previous post (it would just be played as 111000, instead of 133200).

Now this is all unconfirmed until Mark or Myles can explain what it is on Twitter or in person. Who wants to tweet at them?!
Hey there, I'm the guy who started the Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List. Check it out!

Dakota C. (The Disposable Hero)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Maybe Mark is in Drop C and Myles is in C Standard?
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

The DIsposable Hero wrote:Alright everyone - now that it’s officially out in the East Coast time zone in the U.S., I’ve been able to listen to the song.

I’m 95% positive it’s in C Standard, not Drop C. The last big chord that rings out in the end is what an F major chord with the two highest tuned strings sounds like tuned down to C. I think the technical name of the chord is Cmaj7#11, but anyhow, that’s the chord - that’s the giveaway this is in C tuning.
You're the man!
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Kreuger wrote:
The DIsposable Hero wrote:Alright everyone - now that it’s officially out in the East Coast time zone in the U.S., I’ve been able to listen to the song.

I’m 95% positive it’s in C Standard, not Drop C. The last big chord that rings out in the end is what an F major chord with the two highest tuned strings sounds like tuned down to C. I think the technical name of the chord is Cmaj7#11, but anyhow, that’s the chord - that’s the giveaway this is in C tuning.
You're the man!
See the most recent post I just made recently about this. But to the above poster's credit, maybe it's a thing where they're both in Drop C and C Standard. That's not outside the realm of possibility.
The DIsposable Hero wrote: So after listening to it a bunch of times - I've realized that this is in a form of Drop C. But the ending chord with the top 2 strings ringing out like they do in C tuning is undeniable.

So what I'm thinking is that it might be in CGCFGC, or DADGAD a whole step down. You still have all the capabilities of Drop C that are necessary for the riffs in this song (5th fret harmonic on the 5th string for the main heavy riff), and you can play that ending chord I described in my previous post (it would just be played as 111000, instead of 133200).

Now this is all unconfirmed until Mark or Myles can explain what it is on Twitter or in person. Who wants to tweet at them?!
Hey there, I'm the guy who started the Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List. Check it out!

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

I too wondered if they were in in both tunings.
Scott Stapp:

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Would Pain No Mind be in Drop C#/Standard C#?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

There's 2 covers on YouTube and both guys say Drop C#.
Scott Stapp:

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Unsure if it has been mentioned, but I'm 99% sure that Dying Light is in the same weird tuning as This Side of Fate. I can hear a droning F# in the beginning (5th string). Could be wrong though

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

My guesses for some of the tunings:
One Life - Drop C
Native Son - Drop B
Indoctrination - Drop A#
Clear Horizon - Drop C

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Okay so some early estimates. I'm not going to even touch One Life because it's more Synth-y.

Wouldn't You Rather - Drop C
In the Deep - either G# F# B E G# C# or G# G# C# F# A# D#. Although I think this could *easily* be a tune where Myles and Mark are in two different tunings.
Godspeed - Drop B? The bass part goes down to A#, but the guitars don't sound like they go *that* low.
Native Son - Drop C#
Take the Crown - Drop C#
Indoctrination - A# G# C# F# A# D#
The Bitter End - A# G# C# F# A# D#
Pay No Mind - Drop C#
Forever Falling - Drop C#. There is a part in the bridge that would make one think it goes down to A (the chunky palm-muting right before the woahs into the re-intro clean part), but I think it's just what I mentioned ... chunky palm-muting.
Clear Horizon - D Standard
Walking on the Sky - D# Standard
Tear Us Apart - I think it's D# Standard here. There is that low C sounding chord throughout the song, but I think that it's just a C5/G chord (the good old 5th in the bass trick). And the song returns so much to D#.
Dying Light - This *has* to be in that Open G minor, half-step down tuning (C# F# C# F# A C#) ... the tuning that Words Darker Than Their Wings is probably in.
I think it's that tuning because of the overall tonality of the tuning (F# minor), and the second chord of the chorus chord progression sounds like the chord that would be played as 133000 in that tuning. That's my best educated guess on that one.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

There's a cover of the title track on YouTube that says it's in Drop C# although I haven't watched it yet.
Scott Stapp:

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

There's now also a cover of Tear Us Apart that's supposedly Drop D but a half step UP?

Edit: So I guess that's kind of like the Trust tuning.

D# A# D# G# F C
Scott Stapp:

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

The DIsposable Hero wrote:Okay so some early estimates. I'm not going to even touch One Life because it's more Synth-y.

Wouldn't You Rather - Drop C
In the Deep - either G# F# B E G# C# or G# G# C# F# A# D#. Although I think this could *easily* be a tune where Myles and Mark are in two different tunings.
Godspeed - Drop B? The bass part goes down to A#, but the guitars don't sound like they go *that* low.
Native Son - Drop C#
Take the Crown - Drop C#
Indoctrination - A# G# C# F# A# D#
The Bitter End - A# G# C# F# A# D#
Pay No Mind - Drop C#
Forever Falling - Drop C#.
Clear Horizon - D Standard
Walking on the Sky - D# Standard
Tear Us Apart - D# Standard
Dying Light - C# F# C# F# A C#... the tuning that Words Darker Than Their Wings is probably in.
I concur with this list except for Godspeed - I'm thinking this is in D#-Standard (perhaps even Drop C#, but I'm leaning more toward the standard version) rather than Drop B, and Walking on the Sky in Drop C#. Also, the tuning for Words is with the B-string tuned to G#, not A. :)

I did a cover of In the Deep with --let's call it "Double G# drop" because I don't know what that would be called otherwise-- but I am fairly certain Myles is in Drop C# and Mark is some is in some weird tuning (not what you have listed but something completely different) from watching some live footage. There's definitely the low G# in there but no idea about the other five strings.

Forever Falling is the only one I am completely unsure about - I remember reading (or hearing) Mark say in some interview they had to drop the tuning by a whole step for the song - and since I doubt AB would write a song in Drop D# and tuned down to Drop C#, maybe the song is in C# Standard? The droning C# from the intro riff is a low one, so who knows...

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Somebody posted a tab of Godspeed in Eb: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/al ... bs_2881442

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

That dude is usually pretty bang on.
Scott Stapp:

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

Hey guys, went to see AB live a few times last week and on one of the nights they played "In the Deep". As crazy as it sounds, watching Mark play it live I am inclined to say he is tuned to G# standard, i.e. standard tuned down 4 whole steps...

They also played "Dying Light", and it seems Mark is actually tuned to Open F# major (same as In Loving Memory), because they soundchecked Dying Light followed immediately by Watch Over You and Mark didn't swap his guitar or do any retuning. Plus if you watch the IG Mark posted a few days ago, you can see during the solo he has to do a four-fret stretch in order to hit the same note on the G and B strings (fret 16 and 12 respectively).

I was also there for the second live rendition of "Forever Falling" and Mark plays this in C# Standard, Myles plays in Drop C#.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Just watched a live video where they played Native Son, Rise Today and In the Deep and Myles used the same guitar for all 3, presumably Drop C#
Scott Stapp:

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Sorry, double post.
Scott Stapp:

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Kreuger wrote:Just watched a live video where they played Native Son, Rise Today and In the Deep and Myles used the same guitar for all 3, presumably Drop C#
Myles actually retunes his guitars a bit so it makes it harder to judge based on him but I used google translate on a bit from one of the European magazines and got this

How both guitarists went lower and lower.
Mark - "In the deep and Indoctrination. are the two lowest-tuned songs on the album. Myles - when I found the course of in the deep, I no longer knew how to proceed in the verse. Then I decided to give Mark's galloping rhythm a try.
Mark - He gets away with it, but when I do it, everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.
Myles - It didn't sound heavy enough on the fifth string, so I tuned the sixth string of my telecaster to A, but one octave lower. That is also such a track on which we are tuned differently, Mark plays there in standard mood. The interesting thing about the intro and outro solo that I play there is that it was actually a sung chorus, but I play it on guitar because I found another, better chorus."

I assume when he says Mark is in standard that means for the baritone which would be C#