Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by WaywardOne »

Random comment about The Bitter End now that the songs are gelling in my head more:

That intro is the kind of atmosphere I like (vs. the synths on Godspeed and Pay No Mind). It just sets this amazing feeling that is both ominous and beautiful, and just feels so much more organic than a forced synth. More of this please!

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Yup, me too. It slowly crawled up. It was never bad, but it's a song I really look forward to hearing when it plays.

I think it would've been just fine had Myles not harmonized over himself. When he goes up on "clear horizon" in harmony in that chorus, it changes up what I'm feeling they should have done. I don't know how Myles will sing it live if he does, but I'm hoping for another sound in my head that rids the high portion of the harmonization.

I'm going to hang onto being upset that there are too many Myles layers in this band's songs now. This is the best frickin' singer in the world, and it's one of those instances where more of him doesn't make that better.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Think Ubik is really onto something with One Life and Clear Horizon...kinda want to change my album order of tracks now lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Confirmed that Walking On The Sky is about Philippe Petit:

https://screamermagazine.com/interviews ... s-kennedy/

*Although not explicitly a title track, one might wonder what it was about the song Walking the Sky that caused its allusion in the title of the record. Kennedy points out, “I spoke earlier about this enlightened state of mind and the phrase walk the sky can coincide with that, even though the song is really about of of the sky walkers, the kind that put their life on the line and walk the tightrope. There was a movie, where the guy walked between the World Trade Center towers. But, if you extract the phrase, it can allude to the things I was talking about earlier.”

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Arctic wrote:The track that’s growing on me the most is definitely Clear Horizon. The bridge is absolutely beautiful.
Clear Horizon was my favorite upon first listen of the album. Haven't seen anyone bring it up yet, but the lyrics are extremely good in that one. I really don't like super repetitive lyrics (looking at you In the Deep) and Clear Horizon has some very clever lyrics and melodies.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

There are (large!) advertising bills for Walk the Sky hanging around in Hamburg, Germany. I find this really amazing considering their style of music is pretty niche compared to what most people in the western world are listening to:

The small text at top says "The best rock act of our time".

(The photo hasn't been taken by me, by the way, but I saw the same bills at different places when I was in Hamburg last weekend.)

Torsten
Loyal Follower

Post by Torsten »

Rolling Stone Charts

The only other new album to enter the Top 25 was Walk the Sky from rock outfit Alter Bridge. The record clocked in at Number 25, moving approximately 15,200 album-equivalent units, though in contrast to other artists, their showing was predominately fueled by actual album sales — about 13,800 — while they notched just 1.3 million streams.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ng-904580/

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Torsten wrote:Rolling Stone Charts

The only other new album to enter the Top 25 was Walk the Sky from rock outfit Alter Bridge. The record clocked in at Number 25, moving approximately 15,200 album-equivalent units, though in contrast to other artists, their showing was predominately fueled by actual album sales — about 13,800 — while they notched just 1.3 million streams.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ng-904580/
I demand a recount then.

This source says 22.4k.

https://hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming

Also, this tweet from Billboard says it showed up as #16. Which is it then? At least, they can claim the #1 Rock spot in the US charts, not like it counts for much here in the states nowadays, but a win is a win.

https://twitter.com/billboardcharts/sta ... 2032397313

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Anybody else notice the Slash influences from mylles vocally? I mean, some of his vocals sound like his slash records.

Torsten
Loyal Follower

Post by Torsten »

Rolling Stone Charts

Hopefully it gets through error-free the next time. :facepalm There are several different reasons for uncertainty. :hug
anguyen92 wrote:Sadly, Walk The Sky didn't win the race for #1 in the UK charts. They got to #4 behind Foals (#1), James Arthur (#2), and an Ed Sheeran (#3) album (that came out months ago???????). Now I don't mind Ed Sheeran, but an album released months ago certainly shouldn't sell more copies than new albums of well known acts, unless you are uber popular like..... Ed Sheeran and T. Swift........

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=318 ... N-THE-RACE
Florida rock band Alter Bridge’s sixth studio set, Walk The Sky, debuts at No.4 (10,410 sales). Their fourth Top 10 album, it charts higher than the rest, apart from immediate predecessor The Last Hero, three years ago to the week after it opened at No.3 (13,733 sales).

© Music Week

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

The band gets more revenue from album sales than streams, but does anyone know the difference? Is it better to have 20k album sales and 1 million streams, or 1k album sales and 10 million streams?

I hope it’s the first and AB is doing better than all the computer pop nonsense music with non hardcore listeners who just stream and don’t buy albums and merch.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I've got to be honest, I think releasing so many songs before the record came out has really affected my listening experience.

After a weekend I put the record away for a few days, came back, and was like "it's alright." There are some good songs here. But upon hearing over a third of them before I got the whole experience, it's definitely stagnated it a bit for me.

Not saying I dislike it, but it's definitely affected it for me, anyway.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

One Drew Remains wrote:I've got to be honest, I think releasing so many songs before the record came out has really affected my listening experience.

After a weekend I put the record away for a few days, came back, and was like "it's alright." There are some good songs here. But upon hearing over a third of them before I got the whole experience, it's definitely stagnated it a bit for me.

I don't doubt that. That's why I didn't hear any of them before... sorta.

I popped on up to the first chorus of Wouldn't You Rather to hear what people were saying about the difference in mix between the YouTube and iTunes versions.

It's just like movie trailers these days. Once I know I want to watch a film, I'll watch absolutely nothing regarding it. My movie-watching experience has increased tenfold. Even not knowing the movie's runtime can be a good thing.

Back to the music, even if I could avoid finding out the song titles or what the singles were beforehand (or how many songs), then it would really increase things because I'm going in there completely blind. I just listen, and I react. Zero expectations.

That last bit is impossible to do if you hang around this forum, which is why I couldn't do that. However, I did not complete WYR, and never did hear In the Deep, Take the Crown, Pay No Mind, or Dying Light beforehand. I'm glad that I didn't, and I recommend anyone else to try the same the next time around.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Anyway, I don't know what they do in the chorus of Indoctrination note-wise going from "deny it" to "the fire," but it sounds good on "deny it" and I wish they stuck to those notes, instead of like adding a 7th or going to F# instead of F, or whatever the hell it is that they do. Whenever I kind of sing it out loud to myself by making it match sound to "deny it," the chorus sounds so much better (I also wish they didn't linger on "FIIIIIIRRRREEEEE" for so long either, plus the 17 Myles layers).

As a song, I'm not as ecstatic hearing it when it comes up on shuffle. Playing the album through naturally, I'm just fine letting it play through right after Take the Crown. That note in the chorus, though... it's like they went different for the sake of being different. Bold strategy Cotton, but it looks like it didn't pay off for them.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

One Drew Remains wrote:I've got to be honest, I think releasing so many songs before the record came out has really affected my listening experience.

Yup agreed. Too many pre-releases. Should be at tops, two. IIRC, Addicted To Pain was the only pre-release for Fortress. And it made me want the rest of the album immensely. When Walk The Sky finally hit, I wasn’t anywhere close as amped...because I had already heard 1/3 of the album.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Y’all see AB’s IG post from this morning? It’s an amazing feat for them, earned every bit of it over the last 15 years.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yes they have.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The amount of pre-release tracks helped build this album’s momentum to achieve the numbers it achieved on release. No one is forced to listen to the pre-release singles if they’d rather wait for the full thing.

I tend to agree that 5 tracks is too many for what I prefer, but it’s the tactic you have to use today to stay relevant building the press for the new album. Can always choose to only listen to the first one or two.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I think we can all agree: Not a single solo on this record is as good as the one on Open Your Eyes. That thing is epic

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

nagpo wrote:I think we can all agree: Not a single solo on this record is as good as the one on Open Your Eyes. That thing is epic
To me, OYE is top-3 Mark solos.

1. Blackbird
2. Bleed It Dry
3. Open Your Eyes