Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by VigilantSteve »

I may agree that none of the solos in this album are as good as OYE (still too early to tell how I feel long term), but I honestly don't really find the Open Your Eyes solo to be really all that great overall either. Probably my least favorite solo from the ODR album.

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

I enjoy almost all the solos on WTS, especially Walking On The Sky's and Dying Light's, way more than Open Your Eyes. I already think that song in general is pretty overrated, although I like it for their live shows, but the solo is probably my least favorite thing about it. I don't think it fits at all, he has so so so so many better solos that are composed better, phrased better, and that fit the song better. That's just me though.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

gbruin wrote:The band gets more revenue from album sales than streams, but does anyone know the difference? Is it better to have 20k album sales and 1 million streams, or 1k album sales and 10 million streams?

I hope it’s the first and AB is doing better than all the computer pop nonsense music with non hardcore listeners who just stream and don’t buy albums and merch.
Well, allegedly, one track played on Spotify brings the record label/band $0.007 which makes 1,500 spins (which Billboard deems that amount = one album sale) from any track on an album $10.50 which is a typical cost of an album, so the T. Swifts and the Ed Sheerans and the Post Malones are still going to rake in money in some ways for their entities and their associates.

That stated, I think being #1 in pure album sales, regardless of the amount actually sold, is a good motivator for AB knowing that A. we fans still care about purchasing albums in full and hope they keep making full albums B. Despite not charting top 10 in active rock singles anymore, people in the US actually do care about AB which can convince promoters to get AB to do more shows here, preferably in Anaheim and Denver. Wink Wink. ;)

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

nagpo wrote:I think we can all agree: Not a single solo on this record is as good as the one on Open Your Eyes. That thing is epic
Totally agree.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Jesterhead92 wrote:I enjoy almost all the solos on WTS, especially Walking On The Sky's and Dying Light's, way more than Open Your Eyes. I already think that song in general is pretty overrated, although I like it for their live shows, but the solo is probably my least favorite thing about it. I don't think it fits at all, he has so so so so many better solos that are composed better, phrased better, and that fit the song better. That's just me though.
This. If I recall amazing AB solos, OYE is one of the last songs I'd think about. I believe that almost all of ODR is pretty overrated compared to their other work though.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Now that I've had time to fully digest the album, I can say that I'm happily surprised, and this album has rekindled my AB flame. If I had to use one word to describe Walk the Sky, I'd say it's solid. Aside from Dying Light, there is no amazing track, but almost everything else just rocks, and I'm OK with that. The only song I can't enjoy is Godspeed: it's just not my style, and I find it boring to listen to.
Overall, WTS is probably the album will the least number of fillers since Blackbird, and the lack of solos doesn't bother me that much.
So, good job AB!
nagpo wrote:I think we can all agree: Not a single solo on this record is as good as the one on Open Your Eyes. That thing is epic
I love Open your Eyes and Down to my Last's solos, but Dying Light's is up there with them. It's easily my favourite Mark solo in 10 years.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Has anyone else noticed how many times Myles uses the word "escape"? Just thought that was interesting... what is he escaping from, the discord talked about in ABIII and YOTT? Or just life's troubles in general?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I've been holding off on reviewing Walk the Sky until now mainly because most previous Alter Bridge albums have taken some time to grow on me. I see this as a good thing because music that takes time to fully appreciate has staying power. Immediately pleasing pop hits, on the other hand, quickly fizzle. So, I wanted some time to digest each song and the album as a whole. Aside from that, my wife and I just had our first baby, so the harrowing initial weeks and a revolving door of house guests have made it tough to fit in many proper listens. However I've finally reached an equilibrium in my thoughts about the record, so I'll lay them out for you now.

I should also mention that I've read literally none of this thread yet. I didn't want to spoil my perception of the album with other people's reactions until I had really digested it. So, apologies if a lot of what I've written below has already been said. Now I can finally go back through this thread and see just how much my thoughts align with the rest of TABN. :lol

Overall

It's clear just a few songs into Walk the Sky that there's a lot going on on this record. That is true in terms of its sound and its composition – the arrangements, the instrumentation, etc. Sonically the album sounds very full. As with prior Alter Bridge records, there is little breathing room as every crevice is occupied by riffs, fills, overlays, and other sound effects.

Given that, the production is not nearly as problematic as many have so dramatically complained here and on Facebook. Given the amount of layers in each song, the production team did a stunning job of blending everything together in a way that nothing gets fully lost in the mix. The mastering, on the other hand, I am willing to admit is an unfortunate reflection of the loudness wars. I can't really fault anyone for that given the realities of today's soundscape; if anyone is to blame, it's the listening populace at large. So sure, you might have trouble hearing all of the nuances on budget sound equipment, but it sounds fine on even halfway decent speakers or headphones. If anything, I'd wager people's feelings towards the production is misplaced ambivalence about the band's choices to incorporate so many layers into each song.

Speaking of layers, Walk the Sky stands apart in its pioneering use of synthesizers and other electronic sound effects. This adds to the already high sonic complexity of Alter Bridge's work to date. I applaud the band for adding a new dimension to their sound rather trying to recreate Blackbird or AB III, and ultimately stagnating.

So that covers the sound, but how about the composition? As I mentioned, there's a lot going on here, and that starts with the sheer amount of parts in each song. There are sections and transitions galore. Several songs have two-part bridges, including "Take the Crown", "Indoctrination", "Clear Horizon", and "Walking on the Sky". "Pay No Mind" has a pre-chorus and arguably a two-part chorus. This collection of parts is somewhat surprising. In interviews, Mark and Myles described how this album's writing process was different in that they wrote complete songs before bringing their ideas to the group, whereas previous albums were written like puzzles, piecing individual ideas together collectively. Despite that new approach, Walk the Sky is just as puzzle piece-sounding as ever! Generally speaking, the transitions between parts are really good. Most of the pieces blend together in a natural and highly evolved way.

In terms of musicianship, the guys are once again at the top of their game. Myles sings like a pro who really knows how to get the most out of his voice. Mark brings tight riffs and exciting leads. One cool element: Walk the Sky contains several examples of bendy riffs in the vein of Gojira and Mastodon, for example in "Walking on the Sky" and "Dying Light". There are comparatively fewer guitar solos than on previous albums, but I see that as Mark submitting himself in service to what's best for each song. Nowhere on this record do I sense a gaping hole in need of a solo. Scott's drumming is perfect throughout, impeccably matching each riff and transition. Brian's bass serves as a driving force, with plenty of tasteful flair thrown in for good measure.

If I have one criticism, it's that Myles rarely sings a note without vibrato these days. Maybe with age and experience he's just found it more comfortable to sing in vibrato. It could also be his tendency towards singing longer notes over the last couple albums. There are some exceptions—for example the choruses of "Take the Crown" and "Indoctrination"—but they are becoming increasingly rare, especially live, but in studio as well. This probably contributes to a lack of passion I feel when listening to Walk the Sky. I can't name one song where I feel as moved by the vocals as I was by "Blackbird" or "Lover". With that said, Myles knows his voice better than anyone, and he sings with formidable technique. Overall the guys are fully gelled, and playing the best they ever have.

Given that I'm primarily interested in the music, I usually have less to say about the lyrics. However I do appreciate this album as a ray of light amid a fairly dark catalogue. The themes of enlightenment, acceptance, reflection, and living in the moment are welcome subjects. Songs like "Wouldn't You Rather" and "Tear Us Apart" challenge the listener to access your best characteristics to become a better version of yourself. This kind of positivity is needed more today than ever before.

All of the above adds up to an album that comprises a truly impressive body of work. A lot of people have characterized Walk the Sky as a welcome departure from their more controversial The Last Hero. However the amount of parts, the melodies, and the lyrical content all double down on the theatrical and complex style established on that album. Yet there are also callbacks to the band's earlier work, including the heavy feel of Fortress and the atmospheric vibes of AB III. Walk the Sky represents the work of a band with all cylinders engaged.

Track-by-track

One Life
Rating: N/A

Since "One Life" is not a full song per se, I did not give it a numeric rating, but it does serve a very necessary purpose on Walk the Sky. The unsteady synthesizer tones at the very beginning let the listener know right off the bat that this album will be a bit different than the band's prior work. And it may just be an intro track, but melody is surprisingly memorable. This is Alter Bridge's first intro song, so I applaud them for doing something different. It really gives Walk the Sky more of a complete feel as an album.

Standout lyric: If there is mystery in the prose from the golden age, let its wisdom guide me home

Wouldn't You Rather
Rating: 7/10

While the intro track teases something new from the band, the first full song lets the listener know that this is still the same Alter Bridge we know and love. Starting with an ominous, thumping intro, "Wouldn't You Rather" is a classic upbeat Alter Bridge number. Highlights include some great rhythm guitar work, including a brutal main riff, and badass palm mutes kicking off the bridge. The rhythm section shines: Scott throws down some interesting hi-hat work in the early parts of the verses, and Brian delivers a perfect bass line holding everything together. Less impressive is a mediocre chorus melody and a general lack of dynamics – for example the pre-chorus is hardly dialed back at all, leaving little room for the chorus itself to make an impact. The guitar solo is borderline sloppy, but the sweeps are pretty good, and overall it's a concise solo. Lyrically, "Wouldn't You Rather" offers an uplifting message, challenging listeners to examine their approach to life in search of a brighter alternative.

Standout lyrics:
  • There is no gain worth the commerce of self
  • The spoils of war will bring you down

In the Deep
Rating: 10/10

The third track could be the poster song for Walk the Sky as it flips the record back into "something different" mode, with its classic melodies and and layered synthesizers. "In the Deep" is packed with strong instrumentation, from Scott's tom work in the intro to Brian's cool bass slides in the verses. The main riff is an awesome throwback to the 1980s. The verses are highlighted by simple, clean mini-chords and high-pitched synth tones. Myles sings the verses in a comfortable lower register that has already proven to translate well live. The second verse again pays homage to the 1980s with a chorus effect on the guitar picking. The main riff returns before the final chorus, this time synthesizers layered on top – a charming addition. However the real standouts in this song are the melodies themselves, which from start to finish are utterly sublime. Lyrically, someone here mentioned "In the Deep" describes meditation, an interpretation with which I agree. However Myles also makes frequent reference to someone else in the second person; perhaps he discovered meditation with his wife, and is using this song to celebrate that experience with her.

Standout lyric: I am still as the moment I hold in my hand / I can't let go

Godspeed
Rating: 8/10

"Godspeed" delivers a continuation of the 1980s vibe already established on Walk the Sky. This is a powerful song with a perfect verse-chorus pairing, which would be right at home on a classic power ballads compilation disc. Even before the synthesizers start up, the piano tones at the beginning remind me of Stranger Things or a retro movie soundtrack. In the verses, it is once again nice to hear Myles singing in a comfortable range. The pre-choruses are accented by Flip with some nice tom work. The chorus melody is sentimental and heartfelt, fit for a Disney movie. Holding this song back is a disappointingly weak bridge, thankfully redeemed by a quick but heart-wrenching guitar solo that follows. Brian's bass lines provide a solid foundation throughout.

Standout lyric: Cast away our regrets and all our fears / Just like you did when you were here

Native Son
Rating: 9/10

Just when you think Walk the Sky is going in a direction of pure rock ballads, "Native Son" brings the heavy. This is immediately apparent in the abrupt transition from the soft intro into a murderous main riff. Brian impresses by perfectly matching Mark's bends in said main riff; a less capable band would never have nailed that so cleanly. A solid verse gives way to a sick groove in the pre-chorus – a real headbanger punctuated by tasteful double bass fills giving the song great dimension. The chorus is catchy and offers callbacks to previous Alter Bridge work, from the "Losing Patience"-like vocalizations to the "Addicted to Pain"-style whooshing sound at the end. On the downside, the bridge contains a forgettable melody, but that is offset by a cool riff and some nice drum work. Also, I feel they missed an opportunity by repeating the same lead guitar part over and over at the beginning and end of the song, rather than mixing it up each time.

Standout lyric: Marching forward brings a slow and cruel decay

Take the Crown

"Take the Crown" could serve as a case study in song arrangement; it is chock-full of little parts that are pieced together perfectly. The sweet, ballad-style intro turns out to be a trick as we are greeted by a crushing main riff with all instruments playing in perfect harmony. The verse contains a sassy melody and a cool guitar arrangement, with open chords at the start, and chugging guitars and harmonics added later. The chorus is almost "My Champion" level cheesy, but not quite. Then we are treated by two back-to-back bridges. The first is really weak, with a lame melody to a failed attempt to mix things up with a Middle Eastern-inspired riff. Luckily the second bridge redeems with a brighter, more traditional Alter Bridge melody. The chirping synthesizers before the final chorus add a unique flourish. At the end, the shreddy solo reminds me of Guns N' Roses' "Catcher in the Rye", and leads into a sweet outro. Great bass lines feature throughout, including some showy runs in the verses. The lyrics make this song a little cheesy, but overall it's a rockin' feel-good song.

Standout lyrics:
  • Under the lights and thunder we come to life
  • The screams, the frenzy reveals the worst, as hearts of many hunger to be first

Indoctrination

"Indoctrination" has emerged as a fan favorite, but my feelings about it are decidedly mixed. Compared to the prior track, it couldn't be more different in terms of sound and subject matter. Whereas "Take the Crown" presents a tome to healthy competition, "Indoctrination" is a sleazy, droning manifesto by an evil manipulator. The plodding verse adds a welcome dynamic to the density of Walk the Sky, but the riff and melody are uninspired and perhaps intentionally lazy. Things pick up a bit with a heavier part right before the chorus, including a horrifying scream. The chorus melody annoyed me at first—it struck me as if they were trying too hard to write outside of the melodic box—but I've since come around; it's undeniably catchy. It's also cool how the high note changes between the first ("deny it") and second ("fire") go-around. "Indoctrination" contains yet another double bridge: the first is defiant, and contains some slick bass slides; the second adds just a touch of old-school Alter Bridge melody. Overall there's a lot to like in this song, but the verses are tough to muddle through.

Standout lyric: You will give as I take your mind

The Bitter End

Walk the Sky once again swings back to the uplifting with "The Bitter End". This song's melodies are so theatric I want to hate it, but its catchy chorus wins me over every time. The verse melody would be at home on Broadway, with a cool snare drum pattern laid on top. The transition from the first verse to the chorus is really nice and has a nifty bass line (The same bit repeats in the bridge and again in the outro.) The chorus melody is euphoric, although perhaps a bit cheesy. The bridge is just okay – it reminds me of the bridge in "All Ends Well", which I also find mediocre. On the upside, the song ends with an unexpected climax that could even end the album. The song's message ties in with "Wouldn't You Rather"—see the standout lyric below—and touches on living in the present: "The joy I have found in the sweet here and now / It keeps me alive". If Walk the Sky was a play, "The Bitter End" would wrap up its second act (confrontation) with a glimmer of hope for the protagonist going into the third act (resolution).

Standout lyric: It's never too late to learn how to start living right

Pay No Mind

Earlier I mentioned "In the Deep" could be the poster song for Walk the Sky; well, so could "Pay No Mind". This is an infectious, groovy throwback bringing 1980s electronica into the modern rock era. The intro and verses have such an infectious rhythm – one of Alter Bridge's best grooves. This song also features a unique two-part chorus. Both parts are really cool, and offbeat cymbal crashes add a neat dynamic to the defiant second part. I give general credit to Flip for great drumming throughout this song. The transition to the bridge takes things down a notch, as if it was written specifically for the audience to clap along in concert. The melodies throughout tie in perfectly with the lyrics, serving as a call-out of greed-driven ignorance.

Standout lyric: The millions you hurt still willing to stand right by your side

Forever Falling

"Forever Falling" has proven to be another fan favorite, but it's more of a mixed bag for me. A forgettable verse is elevated by a beautiful interlude and a chorus that would dominate rock radio in the early aughts. The song starts off great with a classic Tremonti finger-picked intro and a killer riff. Sadly, I don't like the verses at all. They're a bit high for Mark's range, so his voice gets lost in the fray, and tom-dominated drum pattern falls flat. I know the guys wanted Mark to sing somewhere on Walk the Sky, but I think he would have sounded better on the verses of "Godspeed" or "Dying Light", or even "Clear Horizon". Luckily the chorus brings things back up with a classically huge Alter Bridge melody. The bridge is unfortunately also forgettable, but the transition to Mark's subsequent vocalizations is beautiful, and would be at home on Tremonti's A Dying Machine record. At the end we are treated to one of Mark's better solos, drawing from many of the techniques he's known for. So like I said, it's overall a mixed bag, but there is a lot to like here.

Standout lyric: Ruin knows me all too well

Clear Horizon

In a long line of heavy Alter Bridge songs with soaring choruses, "Clear Horizon" is another excellent installment. The guitar picking and delay effects in the first verse create a dramatic feel fit for a TV show. An intricate main riff dances elegantly with the bass line. The chorus boasts a great melody, bolstered by drums that mesh really well with the riff. This song contains yet another double bridge, although the transition between them a tad abrupt. The first part starts with a cool stuttering drum pattern that I think is still technically in 4/4 time, but tricks you into thinking otherwise. The second part contains a slow guitar bend – a good example of the little touches that really send Alter Bridge's music over the top.

Standout lyrics:
  • In this world its hard to find something real among the wreckage of our hope
  • I bought the dream and it let me down

Walking on the Sky

The title track is an expertly crafted example of newer Alter Bridge: heavy, complex composition with good flow, while channeling some of Alter Bridge's darker past. The intro's synthesizer tones could be lifted from Blade Runner or 2001: A Space Odyssey. The verse creates a forlorn emotion that could accompany the evacuation of Pripyat following the Chernobyl disaster. After each verse, a badass guitar harmonic perfectly sets up the impending chorus. The final iteration of these harmonics is slightly off-tune and sounds absolutely sick. The chorus riff is virulent – a total torso-banger! And while the chorus vocal line is not the most melodic, somehow it gets stuck in your head. "Walking on the Sky" again treats to another two-part bridge, the first of which stands out with a unique time signature. Capping things off is a totally mental guitar solo on top of a crushing riff. The solo contains some right-hand harmonics that Mark frequently uses in live improvisations – it's great to see this finally worked into a song. As a whole the solo is completely unhinged and reminds me of the T-1000 thrashing around in molten metal at the end of Terminator II. Taken together, "Walking on the Sky" is an an addicting listen, and I hope to hear this one live as its heaviness should translate really well.

Standout lyric: Though you don't need to escape, all these questions still remain

Tear Us Apart

Walk the Sky takes a break from the epics with "Tear Us Apart". This song illustrates the simpler side of Alter Bridge, with a basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus structure. The main riff reminds me of a late-90s/early-aughts pop-punk song, and could be featured in one of the era's many teen movies. The chorus is catchy, with interesting vocal pacing. The bridge fits in well as compared to some more questionable bridges on Walk the Sky. The ending is nice, with gentle rolling snares and a final ride cymbal. Lyrically, the song serves as another example of this album's positive, encouraging theme set. Overall it's a solid track if you can overlook some of the cringe factor in the riffs and lyrics.

Standout lyrics:
  • This truth you cannot deny: we have to face and learn from mistakes to grow
  • Wake up and take a stand while there is still a chance

Dying Light

The final track is Alter Bridge at their best, captured in a song. Despite its moderate length, it is an epic in its own right, proving that epics don't need to be extended escapades. It starts with a semi-clean/grungy intro that at this point can be confused with so many similar Alter Bridge intros (e.g., "In the Deep", "Take The Crown", and older songs like "Before Tomorrow Comes"). The main riff is also familiar, not all that dissimilar from that in "Losing Patience". The verse calls back to "Cradle to the Grave", with the vocal melody closely following Mark's classic fingerpicked guitars. The chorus is once again epic, and it's cool how the final notes of each line follow the guitar riff. The only part I don't particularly like is the bridge – the start-stop pattern doesn't quite do it for me, and I've never liked the overdone fast snare drum hits in similar bridges (e.g., "All Ends Well"). The transition from the bridge to the solo is frantic and spooky, if not downright apocalyptic. The solo is one of Mark's coolest ever, with little diddles so spastic as if to mock the very instrument he has so mastered. The vocalizations at the end are the perfect culmination to the track and the album as a whole. Others have drawn parallels between this song and "Words Darker Than Their Wings" and "This Side of Fate", which are wholly appropriate. Ultimately it's the perfect bookend to Walk the Sky, resolving with not quite a happy ending, but an ethereal feeling of closure.

Standout lyrics:
  • Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
  • We learn to live when we give in to the silent waves that crash inside

Conclusion

Overall, Walk the Sky is the work of a band at their best, assembling a body of mature and well-crafted songs. All of the instruments are incredibly well connected. The drum work is so tight; the bass is so solid. Mark and Myles are playing and singing like true professionals. In and around all that, the guys have managed to introduce new elements to their sound without forgetting their older style. This is not an album of superlatives. It doesn't have the most epic songs, the most guitar solos, or the heaviest riffs the band has ever written. Rather it has each of those things in moderation, and as such it is really just a collection of very good songs. Given the depth of its composition, Walk the Sky will undoubtedly have staying power, and I'm sure I'll discover new things to love about it for years to come.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I'm finally making my way through this thread and had planned on doing one big post with all of my replies so as to avoid post spamming, but now I think I'll end up having so many replies that I'll do them in batches of 10. :lol
fix wrote:
UninvitedZero wrote:or dig around the bowels of the web for a little leak... :slam
That would be in vein because - for some reason - it hasn't leaked yet! Which has to be a record! :D Not sure what (and if) they did differently this time, but that's great! :)
In hindsight it is amazing that this album never leaked, especially after people started receiving their physical copies in the mail several days early. My theory is twofold: 1) we've finally reached a critical mass where streaming has so overwhelmed the way we consume music nowadays that there is much less interest on both the supply and demand side for illegal downloads, and 2) most of the folks who preordered are fervent AB fans who wouldn't want to spoil the release by leaking it themselves.
Mr.Vlado wrote:I personally think - without having listened to the album, though - that it is a bit unfair to critize the way of recording this time.
I have the feeling that, because we know that they made their demos separately this time, people are really looking for where this can be heard. It even started months ago with the song lengths. I also love longer AB tracks and it is totally cool to be disappointed in the "shorter" songs on this album, of course, but I donÄt think that this necessarly means that the album was rushed. It received a lot critical acclaim already, so maybe it is just a matter of different tastes. They also said that the album was supposed to be more concise, more on point, maybe they really wanted to put out an album like this and it would have been the same even if they had made the demos together as they had done it before.
I couldn't agree more. From what I've read so far, it seems a lot of people are drawing conclusions about the album due to what we've heard about its writing/recording process, rather than based on the music itself. It's one thing to listen to the songs, and then try to rationalize what we've heard by thinking about them in context of what we know about how they were made. But it's quite another to have predispositions about the album that end up tainting our impression of it. Obviously we are fans and so we will hyper-analyze everything to death, and that's fine. I just wonder how much of people's opinions are truly based on the music versus complaining about how they think an album should or shouldn't be made.
Arctic wrote:I’m kind of glad the board switched over in 2012, I was 15 when I signed up and if I were to find my post history from 2007 I would probably cringe myself into oblivion, so I wouldn’t sweat it too much lol.
*Ahem*
AB23 wrote:All of that waiting for one hour of your time to be blown away and have that same "they're back!" feeling. But I listened to it, and the entire time I was thinking "this is it?"
I understand what you mean by this. Alter Bridge are my favorite band of all time, but it's hard to get as excited about their sixth album as I was for their first few. Part of it could be growing older, as life takes over our hobbies more and more. Part of it could be that we don't feel as much passion from a band that at this point doesn't really have to fight quite as hard as they did back in the early days. That doesn't mean I'm not excited for new music, or that I don't enjoy it immensely, but I get what you're saying.
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Indoctrination - The super sludgy intro riff is so good. Another memorable riff sure to get stuck in my head throughout the day. Myles’ voice in the intro/verse is so sultry and smooth on top of that sludgy riff its perfect combination. After watching the interview where they mention Myles’ growl/vocal swell I cant help but focus on that every time it comes up.
Link?
Kreuger wrote:Has anyone noticed any solos that may be done by Myles?
I think it's limited to this:
  • The leads over the intro/outro of "In the Deep"
  • I'm not totally sure, but I think Myles plays the little leads over the intro/outro of "Native Son" (although those don't really count as solos anyway)
  • The first solo in "Dying Light" (between the bridge and the final verse)
The only other potential solo that I'm not entirely sure of is "Godspeed". There are couple bits that make me think it's Mark (the little squeal near the beginning, the slow bend near the middle), but the phaser effect obscures some of the phrasing throughout. If I had to guess, I'd say Mark plays it, but I'm not 100% positive.
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:I've been waiting to ask this, but those sounds at the beginning of Native Son. Is it just me or is that the same sound that plays for one of the logos when the DVD for RAH loads? I've haven't checked the DVD to confirm it, but it immediately made me think of it.
I don't believe so. I just popped the Blu-ray into my player and the sounds playing during the logos are much harsher. I do hear the similarity though – the fact that you even made that comparison is impressive!
gbruin wrote:On the plus side, it's a great thing when a song or album leaves you wanting more. I've heard plenty of music where the song went on too long or had parts seemingly gratuitously added for their own sake that bogged it down and made it just too hard to listen to. Dream Theater does this for me a lot with too much guitar or keyboard wankery. On the other hand, Iron Maiden has a bunch of 10 minute songs that repeat a riff 4 times and leave me dying for it to go on for another 6 minutes. It's such a fine line whether another 8 bars of a solo add to a song or just wear it out. I rather have the latter and just replay the song and love it rather than have my mind start wandering 2/3rds of the way through.
Very well put my man! It really is such a fine line.
Blackbirddd wrote:I love so much the pre-chorus of Forever Falling, it has the drum beat of Run by Foo Fighters
Yes! I noticed that as well. Is there a name for that beat? It's basically used in all Latin music from what I reckon. See: any Pitbull or Shakira song.
Ubik wrote:Indoctrination - It's like The Other Side had a baby with Show Me A Sign and it was evil. Took me three listens to notice the scream bit at the start. Also really wanted the lyric at the end to be "I am your new messiah, and I will take you higher."
Lol yes!! Imagine that. Or taken a step further, "I am your new messiah, and only I can take you higher."

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

abw1987 wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Indoctrination - The super sludgy intro riff is so good. Another memorable riff sure to get stuck in my head throughout the day. Myles’ voice in the intro/verse is so sultry and smooth on top of that sludgy riff its perfect combination. After watching the interview where they mention Myles’ growl/vocal swell I cant help but focus on that every time it comes up.
Link?
3:50 mark in this interview

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I couldn't tell that was myles screaming lol

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
abw1987 wrote:
Link?
3:50 mark in this interview
Oh man, so that is Myles's voice after all! I couldn't for the life of me figure out whether that was someone's voice or just some kind of wind sound effect. And Myles is the last person I'd expect to produce a sound like that, so that's quite unexpected.

Thanks for tracking that down. I hadn't seen it before.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

abw1987 wrote:Oh man, so that is Myles's voice after all! I couldn't for the life of me figure out whether that was someone's voice or just some kind of wind sound effect. And Myles is the last person I'd expect to produce a sound like that, so that's quite unexpected.

Thanks for tracking that down. I hadn't seen it before.
No problem! Took me like 30 seconds :lol

I too would never have expected Myles to do such a sound but after hearing it I'm curious to hear what would happen if Myles experimented more with that kinda stuff :lol

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I'm thinking in my head how offensive it would sound if they put Mark's "wah wah" stuff from the chorus of Before Tomorrow Comes into Native Son's chorus.

"Now I'm a native son in a foreign laaaaand -- WAAAAAHHH WAAHHH WAAHHHHHHHH!"

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

abw1987 wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:I love so much the pre-chorus of Forever Falling, it has the drum beat of Run by Foo Fighters
Yes! I noticed that as well. Is there a name for that beat? It's basically used in all Latin music from what I reckon. See: any Pitbull or Shakira song.
I believe it's called a reggaeton beat.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

It happens a lot in samba, Brazilian music. That kind of beat.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Crumbso wrote:
abw1987 wrote:
I believe it's called a reggaeton beat.
I believe you're right! This article confirms as much: https://wearemitu.com/entertainment/dav ... reggaeton/

I guess there are many types of Reggaeton rhythm, but it sounds like this is one of them.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Continuing to make my way through this thread, and I've amassed 10 more replies:
Arctic wrote:As a whole album, this might even be their best effort top to bottom. Even on the classics like Blackbird and Fortress there are at least a couple of songs that I’m pretty ‘meh’ on. This time the only song I’m not that hyped on is In the Deep, and even it has a really nice riff. There’s seriously not a song aside from that where I feel like skipping.

I don’t think it’s because it’s new either. When Fortress first came out I was like ‘eehhh’ on Peace is Broken and FTTS right away, the same with Break Me Down and One By One/Coming Home on Blackbird. This is just legitimately solid almost all the way through.
I agree. Although it's tough for me to say definitively whether it's their best effort overall, it may very well be their most consistent. I think one reason some folks are so down on this album is that, as I stated in my review, there aren't any superlatives on this album. It doesn't have the longest epics, the most memorable riffs, the most solos, etc.; it's just a well-balanced record. When you think about an Alter Bridge album, you tend to focus on the standout tracks, which for many are the epics ("Blackbird" and "Fortress", for example). Walk the Sky doesn't have any of the "most [x characteristic]" songs, so perhaps there's a perception that it's overall weaker. But I think it's very strong as a whole.
Ubik wrote:Lyric booklet's got a weird thing in Take the Crown - end of it has "so sorry, so sorry, but we'll take the crown", which I'm pretty sure isn't there.
Lol, good catch. Sometimes the official lyrics can be kind of weird when you've got parts that are repeated, especially around the choruses. However in this case, I definitely don't hear those words at the end. My theory: maybe the early iterations of the song did, or maybe they even recorded backing vocals with those words over the guitar solo that didn't end up getting mixed in.

Sadly there's no shortage of errors in the lyric booklet, as is typical for Alter Bridge. :lol I've already noticed a few just by chance (e.g., breath/breathe, to/too, etc.), but I may just take a full listen through with the booklet in my hands to see what else I notice.
fix wrote:Alright, of the new songs I really like Native Sons riff(s), Indoctrinations darker vibe (but the riff is kinda boring), Forever Falling as a song (strangely I got Mastodon vibes from the verse), Clear Horizons flow of parts/riffs (especially that weird off time part in the bridge) and Walking On The Sky's chorus (where did that come from... oh my).
That's a good comparison – I can totally hear that with the brooding bass/guitar and the tom-heavy drum part.
Sugar Blade wrote:I really hate that dental machine high-pitch sound that someone is doing with his guitar in a lot of songs during heavy riffs, it makes me cringe at how deliberately "badass" it wants to sound
Are you referring to pinch harmonics??? Please tell me you're not talking about pinch harmonics. :shifty
Buffon wrote:Native Son is awesome too - got some strong Iron Maiden vibes from the first listen, then realized there's a Stranger in a Strange Land reference in the bridge!
Another good catch! I'm so glad to be reading through this thread now. I'm pretty detail-oriented, yet manage to miss out on plenty of these nuances.
Buffon wrote:
John3977 wrote:My point is that THEY EVEN ADMITTED that they didn’t collectively work together on this. It was pieces together. Every other album they wrote they collaborated time wise and the result is an album full of songs that feel I incomplete and lacking.
I would make the exact opposite argument.

They've said loads of times how the standard writing process before Walk the Sky was to write individual parts and combine them into full songs in the studio. This, to me, is the definition of "pieced together": so much of The Last Hero in particular sounds like one of Mark or Myles came up with a promising riff or melody, stopped there, then brought it out during recording and waited for the other guy to copy-paste a chorus onto it (Exhibit A: Cradle to the Grave. Inspired melody and verse, absolutely ruined by generic post-grunge chorus 15,295). Calm the Fire is another example of a song that feels like three separate parts that they wrote individually and stuck together.
Great point, and totally agreed. (Although CTTG and CTF are masterpieces, IMO.) I find it hilarious that so many people shat on the guys for their puzzle piece writing in the past, and now they're catching the same level of heat for approaching WTS with more complete songs.
AustinH22 wrote:Forever Falling > Words

Also. What's up Everyone? I'm here for all the people that remember

8)
TABN history bro!
fix wrote:Although the Walking On The Sky verse isn't my favourite, I like how it's Myles on lead and Mark on backing vocals together. No Myles clones. Which is refreshing and sounds great!
This! Their voices complement each other so well. They should definitely be doing this more often, rather than the endless layers of Myles.
Timotheus wrote:Clear Horizon
This one starts off amazing and gets less interesting as the song progresses. Again the fucking whoa’s in the chorus. Also why do they go to major in the chorus? That’s such a Slash thing to do. Imagine Blackbird “May you never be broken again” with a G major in stead of a G minor on the “again”. Just weird, and unnecesarry.
It's often bothered me when bands do this as well. It can make songs sound like a cheesy mid-2000s Puddle of Mudd radio hit. In this song I think it kinda works in "Clear Horizon" though. It aligns well with the lyrical subject matter. It would've been a bit strange to pair the optimism of a clear horizon with a minor key.
Flet wrote:What I don't get, is how Tremonti alone have better songs, heavy and catchy, and the albums are sonically better (with the sole exception of the horrendous to listen to Cauterize).
Just curious – how do you feel about the production on Dust? Given they were written, recorded, mixed, and mastered at the same exact time, I'd be surprised to hear someone rave about Dust's production while criticizing Cauterize!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

One Life had the wrong version of “its” in the booklet and that’s where I stopped reading lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

abw1987 wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Clear Horizon
This one starts off amazing and gets less interesting as the song progresses. Again the fucking whoa’s in the chorus. Also why do they go to major in the chorus? That’s such a Slash thing to do. Imagine Blackbird “May you never be broken again” with a G major in stead of a G minor on the “again”. Just weird, and unnecesarry.
It's often bothered me when bands do this as well. It can make songs sound like a cheesy mid-2000s Puddle of Mudd radio hit. In this song I think it kinda works in "Clear Horizon" though. It aligns well with the lyrical subject matter. It would've been a bit strange to pair the optimism of a clear horizon with a minor key.
I wish Take the Crown didn't end on a major key with the word "crown," either. I think that's more offensively obvious in that song than any other one, especially in the very beginning once it drops to the heavy riff.

I would've done something else, but I'm not going to like sing it for you lol.