Tremonti on His Relationship With Stapp

A place for all Creed discussion.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Tremonti on His Relationship With Stapp

Post by Andy92 »

austin. wrote:One more point I would like to make. Mark has “three bands” okay that’s great. I don’t think Brian hates Stapp, don’t think Flip hates Stapp, Been on record that Stapp would love to do Creed again and I have never heard Brian or flip say that’s not gonna happen. Why’s Mark the dictator of what happens? Why’s he get to be the boss? The other band members only have one income and they could all be making big bucks on a Creed run.
Probably because Mark is the one that writes the music lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Andy92 wrote:
austin. wrote:One more point I would like to make. Mark has “three bands” okay that’s great. I don’t think Brian hates Stapp, don’t think Flip hates Stapp, Been on record that Stapp would love to do Creed again and I have never heard Brian or flip say that’s not gonna happen. Why’s Mark the dictator of what happens? Why’s he get to be the boss? The other band members only have one income and they could all be making big bucks on a Creed run.
Probably because Mark is the one that writes the music lol
I'm shocked that a primary songwriter not wanting this holds a lot of weight that's preventing this from happening. :rolleyes Why do you guys think System of a Down haven't released an album in like 15 years? It's pretty much a similar scenario. If not everyone is on the same page, especially the main songwriters for the band, might as well not force it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

If Mark's heart isn't in it, why would you even want him to do it? After all that went on during the 2 Creed runs, regardless of who is at fault for any of it, can you blame him (or any of the other members) if they at any point didn't have their heart set on ever reuniting Creed again?

Look, I would be overjoyed if there was a Creed reunion... But I also certainly am not ever expecting it to happen, and I certainly don't fault Mark for feeling the way he does either.

I guess I just don't get the mindset that I'm seeing among some of these posts here that's blaming Mark and acting as though he's wrong for prioritizing the 2 bands he actually enjoys playing in, as opposed to the band that has already had 2 falling outs now and he clearly doesn't enjoy as much anymore.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

I'd like to weigh in on this.

I don't blame Mark or anyone else in the band for not wanting to reunite as Creed. The first run 1997 to 2003 didn't end well as we all know, either did the reunion in 2009. Mark's the guy that writes all of the music and melody in some cases, while Scott contributes melody and lyrics. Scott has had a lot of very public episodes, the most recent being his meltdown. I understand he's doing well right now but it could just be that Mark doesn't want to take the chance of something going wrong again. It could be that he's so used to working in a drama free environment with Alter Bridge that he doesn't want to have to subject himself to dealing with Stapp again. I'm not trying to badmouth the guy either, let's face it I don't know him personally but historically all of your very talented singers have certain personality traits. It could just be that Mark is comfortable working Myles who as we know is a tremendously humble down-to-earth guy who doesn't let things go to his head.

As for Stapp, and excuse me but this is my opinion, I feel like he doesn't want to put the work in necessary to have a career that is not based on Creed. I know some people are going to say he's the lead singer and he has every right to perform those songs where and when he wants to. I don't disagree, but when you are 15 years removed from the initial breakup of your band and people still know you primarily as the Creed guy, in my mind there's a problem. It comes off to me like he feels that that's the band that he built to that level and he doesn't want to put that same amount work into his solo career. For all we know, if he had he could very well be an established well-known solo artist in his own right. Proof of Life had some good songs on it, the space between the shadows is some of the best work he's ever done since the Creed days. The problem is he won't commit to playing a show where the majority of the material is his solo work.

Back to the subject of this thread though, I don't blame Mark for not wanting to work with him. Sure he's doing fine right now as far as we can see but why at this point in your life do you even want to take a chance of having to deal with that amount of drama again. The songs are good, but they're also quite old at this point, and no disrespect to Creed but they are no Guns and Roses, if they want to genuinely get back together and give me an album that they really want to make that's going to blow me away, by all means do that. If it's anything less than that, you're better off leaving things as they are

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

For what its worth the Creed attachment is honestly based more off public demand than anything else. Around the time when he was playing almost nothing but Creed with one solo song (Slow Suicide I think), I made a comment on his Facebook saying he should ease off the Creed material, and that his solo albums deserved more recognition. I got bombarded with angry comments from Stapp fans saying that Creed is the best part of the shows, and that they wouldn't bother if it was mainly solo material. I think he just knows Creed is his legacy. His setlists are better now, so no big deal.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

But he's playing more solo songs. It's arond 50%-50%.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Mark gave Scott a second chance. Not only did Stapp fuck up, he publicly called Mark, Flip and Brian liars in interviews, even though he admitted afterwards that he was purposely lying about this himself.

You can be mad at Mark all you want, but Scott is the one who burned hid bridges and shit all over the room.

Mark is not the one who "can't get about Stapp". Mark is a guy who had an awful person in his life, twice, and chose to not have this person in his life anymore.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Things are not so black and white.
Stapp is not as bad as some people here say he is. You have to remember he was on pills both times, and the first time, it was because of a car accident 8 months before. I mean, when you listen to Mark, it sounds like the Chicago performance from 2002 was the worst thing in the world, and I rarely hear some compassion for his former friend. Stapp suffered from depression, and the car accident surely made things worse or a bried period of time.
I also can understand why Stapp, after years of being politically correct, would lose it and call Mark out for not committing to Creed, when Creed was a much bigger band than AB at the time. Sometimes, you need to hear the truth from close people around you, and it's not always a pleasant thing. IMHO, Mark doesn't value Creed enough, whereas 99.9% other musicians would dream to have a band like that in their career.

Stapp isn't a perfect person, but he's not a mess like the Days of the New singer, or a diva like Axl Rose. Most of the time, he's a reasonable guy who won't say a bad thing about his bandmates, even though every interviewer scretly hopes he does. He's cleaned up his act and gotten his life and careers back, which is very rare in this industry. If Mark still cared about him, he'd be proud of him and give him a third chance. But for some reason, it looks like it's still not enough and the wounds of the past haven't totally healed yet. It's a real shame, because Stapp's voice is the best it's been in 18 years, and it would sound incredible on some new Creed music.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

chtimixeur wrote:Things are not so black and white.
Stapp is not as bad as some people here say he is. You have to remember he was on pills both times, and the first time, it was because of a car accident 8 months before. I mean, when you listen to Mark, it sounds like the Chicago performance from 2002 was the worst thing in the world, and I rarely hear some compassion for his former friend. Stapp suffered from depression, and the car accident surely made things worse or a bried period of time.
I also can understand why Stapp, after years of being politically correct, would lose it and call Mark out for not committing to Creed, when Creed was a much bigger band than AB at the time. Sometimes, you need to hear the truth from close people around you, and it's not always a pleasant thing. IMHO, Mark doesn't value Creed enough, whereas 99.9% other musicians would dream to have a band like that in their career.

Stapp isn't a perfect person, but he's not a mess like the Days of the New singer, or a diva like Axl Rose. Most of the time, he's a reasonable guy who won't say a bad thing about his bandmates, even though every interviewer scretly hopes he does. He's cleaned up his act and gotten his life and careers back, which is very rare in this industry. If Mark still cared about him, he'd be proud of him and give him a third chance. But for some reason, it looks like it's still not enough and the wounds of the past haven't totally healed yet. It's a real shame, because Stapp's voice is the best it's been in 18 years, and it would sound incredible on some new Creed music.
So a couple of things, it doesn't matter how big Creed is/was versus AB, it only matters how happy he is in the band. You make it sound like he's at the starving and struggling musician stage when he's at the can retire and never work again. Also let's not forgot he never said AB was done or that Creed was going to be his priority for the rest of his, AB at the point had established a 3 year cycle and to think he was going to drop it for Creed makes no sense. Secondly nobody but Mark and Stapp knows what kind of conversations take place between them, for all we know Mark could be sending him letters or texts of encouragement. They could have a good healthy relationship without Mark wanting to make music as Creed anymore. He doesn't close that door anymore because he probably thinks that anything is possible and wouldn't necessarily be against Creed but he's not going to prioritize it over his other bands.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I don't need to see his letters.
Just look at Mark's face anytime Creed or Stapp is mentioned. It's like the life is immediately sucked out of him, whereas he always has a smile when he talks about AB or his solo band.

Also, remember this:
https://youtu.be/AOyK_dwZnJE?t=230
It's not like I'm up to date with his life.
:S
Jhenrid wrote:it doesn't matter how big Creed is/was versus AB, it only matters how happy he is in the band.
I agree, but I don't see why he wouldn't be happy in Creed. What Stapp did happened in 2002 and 2012.
They were fine the rest of the time.
Jhenrid wrote:AB at the point had established a 3 year cycle and to think he was going to drop it for Creed makes no sense.
Yes, it does.
Why shouldn't Creed be the priority for a while, since AB's been the priority for more than 15 years?
Creed was and will always be the bigger band, after all.
Giving it a couple of exclusive years wouldn't hurt AB or Tremonti in the long run.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Creed the bigger band ? In the states perhaps, not in the rest of the world. Cd-sales were hughe, yes indeed. But would they also be now ? Compare two bands in totally different music scenes, even if only 1,5 decade apart makes no sense.
But that all means nothing.
Only thing important is for each band member is to feel fine with band they are in. And if he doesn’t ? I personally hope Tremonti sticks to his other two bands. So much better music. Creed was fine back in the days. I got all their music and like it, but it just is not of the quality of those other two bands. And Tremonti clearly just doesn’t want to give them and all efforts and energy he invested in them up for disappointment number three. What on earth is so hard to understand about that ? Do you guys really line up to hand out third chances yourselves in real live to people who disappointed you badly. Leave it at this. Creed just won’t be revived again, I hope. Nice memory.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Yeah, I don't understand either what we are still debating about. It's more than obvious that Creed won't happen any time soon and I can clearly understand why. Maybe things will change in a couple of years.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@riemslag1: yes, Creed was MUCH bigger than Alter Bridge. They had a dozen number one songs, sold dozens of millions of albums, and were played on radio all the time. They packed arenas, played in the Olympics and were a cultural phenomenon. Those are just facts.

I can understand Mark wanting to do Alter Bridge over Creed (lthere's a lot of talent in that band, and they're very ambitious songwriters), but as I've said for many years, I think he's wasting his time with his solo project which is just subpar pop metal version of Alter Bridge. I genuinely don't understand what he's trying to achieve with this. It's not like he's pushing himself creatively. He's using the same song structures and the same producer, and in a way, it's an extremely lazy project from a creative standpoint. I know we're all entitled to our own opinons, but for me, there is no way Tremonti is making better music than Creed back in the day. They are leagues apart, and the musicianship isn't even that good in Tremonti.

In the end, I don't mind Creed being over if Mark's state of mind towards that band stays the same. I'd love to hear Creed V if he put 100% of his time and passion into that band again, but since it will never be the case, it's probably wiser to let it rest. Releasing another dud like Full Circle and doing another half-assed tour just for the money would be a terrible idea. If you do it, do it right.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

The mistake you make is that you consider your Creed-truth as the only truth, music wise. Creed was only big in the states and an absolute nobody worldwide. Productionwise FC for some was even their very best. I consider their music as far inferior to AB and, yes, also the Tremonti band. Contrary to you I just don’t pressnt my opinion as the absolute truth.
It can NOT be, beceause it is music.
Irritating how some over here keep goiing on and on and on and on and on in nagging about Creed and for no reason keep blaming Tremonti for it all.
It’s your Creed fairy tale, dream on..............

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

That is not truth. Creed sold a lot and got much airplay around the world. Their big mistake was touring mainly America and did not focus on the rest of the world. On the Weathered tour they only toured USA, Canada and Australia and it's so little.

I can say for my country, Brazil, they were huge here(as a lot other bands from that time were) and they're not even bigger because they didn't come here for the Weathered tour or played Rock in Rio 2001. I think it's the same thing for Europe and other places.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

When did Alter Bridge headline the Olympics or play the Super Bowl?

I can’t remember what years it was Alter Bridge did it.

Alter Bridge bigger than Creed? Sorry metalheads.

How many number one singles Alter Bridge had VS Creed? What makes Alter Bridge even laughingly slightly bigger than Creed? In terms of music history Alter Bridge has never done anything overly notable. Except after 3 albums finally getting a number one single with Isolation I guess....... Alter Bridge ever had 25.000 attendance that wasn’t a international festival with bigger bands? Alter Bridge ever sold a million albums?

They may have done all these things. I never heard about it.

Better? Subjective. Bigger? Never.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I don't know why we are bringing whose more popular into this topic. Whose being bigger had nothing to with this topic at all. This ain't about whose popular. It's about one guy that's probably not in the mood of working with another guy for the time being due to a rather conflicted history. At the end of the day, the history books will dictate that Creed will be more popular band in terms of how many people bought albums, went to the shows, etc. That shouldn't be a debate at all for the sake of this conversation.

At the end of the day, (and how many times must I point this out for people to grasp it?), if someone from the band is not feeling it and not wanting to reunite Creed, especially if that someone is a main songwriter for the band, there shouldn't any point doing it, especially if the passion is not there and passion and enthusiasm is something you cannot force. I rather see these guys do something they are passionate about and if it happens to be AB, great, I'll support it all the way, and buy the albums, tickets, and merch first chance I get. If they want to do Creed, then I'll just support it like I would other bands that I would go to an outdoor amphitheater show for. I'll just wait for the Groupon deal and book the ticket. Easy game.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The trust is gone, and it's not likely coming back. Without that, you're not gonna get good music from them anyway, so why bother? Just enjoy those three big albums.
For all of the hope that it brings...

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

riemslag1 wrote:Productionwise FC for some was even their very best.
Sorry, but no.
I still have functioning ears, and Full Circle sounds like absolute crap.
Everything about it is awful production-wise.
I'm sure Elvis could have made it worse, though. :lol
riemslag1 wrote:Irritating how some over here keep goiing on and on and on and on and on in nagging about Creed and for no reason keep blaming Tremonti for it all.
I don't. I say both Stapp and Tremonti are to blame.
For some reason, some AB fans tend to imply Stapp is the worst guy in the world, and that Tremonti is a saint.
I don't see things that way, and I think Tremonti should have had and shown more empathy for a guy he once considered a friend.
austin. wrote:Better? Subjective. Bigger? Never.
Agreed.
AB is doing fine, and kudos to Mark for achieving success with another band.
But even he would never say AB was bigger than Creed at any point.
Ubik wrote:The trust is gone, and it's not likely coming back. Without that, you're not gonna get good music from them anyway, so why bother? Just enjoy those three big albums.
You summed things up pretty well. :cheers

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

anguyen92 wrote:I don't know why we are bringing whose more popular into this topic. Whose being bigger had nothing to with this topic at all. This ain't about whose popular. It's about one guy that's probably not in the mood of working with another guy for the time being due to a rather conflicted history. At the end of the day, the history books will dictate that Creed will be more popular band in terms of how many people bought albums, went to the shows, etc. That shouldn't be a debate at all for the sake of this conversation.

At the end of the day, (and how many times must I point this out for people to grasp it?), if someone from the band is not feeling it and not wanting to reunite Creed, especially if that someone is a main songwriter for the band, there shouldn't any point doing it, especially if the passion is not there and passion and enthusiasm is something you cannot force. I rather see these guys do something they are passionate about and if it happens to be AB, great, I'll support it all the way, and buy the albums, tickets, and merch first chance I get. If they want to do Creed, then I'll just support it like I would other bands that I would go to an outdoor amphitheater show for. I'll just wait for the Groupon deal and book the ticket. Easy game.

I hear your sentiment man. My biggest issue is why, why on earth mention to the public “I have a whole Creed album in by back pocket haha I just “can’t find time” to record it” when there’s plenty of time? It feels extremely arrogant to me. If you have a Creed album and have no intent of recording it, why mention it? Why get us Creed fans riled up? To get your name in a headline featuring on of the greatest Rock bands of all time? (Not Alter Bridge, Creed).

It fires us Creed fans up knowing mark says hey haha I have an album you guys just don’t deserve it, cuz there’s plenty of time. If you hate Scott Stapp say you hate Scott Stapp, dude. Damn.