The Random Alter Bridge Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: This would probably have more relevance if I had the "Blood Machine" rank...

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

maximzub wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Also, based on Tremonti's writing style for Tremonti, judging a song based on its intro is not the way to go. (Assuming some of that writing style bleeds into AB)
You're right. I don't listen to much Tremonti though.

As a matter of fact, I have heard the solo for Bleed It Dry, but I'm still not a fan. Of course I plan to listen to it, but I doubt that I'll start liking it from what I know about the song (intro, drop Bb, solo). That's just my humble opinion.

--------------------------------------------------

Okay, here are the Alter Bridge songs that I haven't heard in full yet.

One Day Remains: Burn It Down, Down To My Last, Watch Your Words, Shed My Skin

Blackbird: Coming Home, One By One, Break Me Down, Wayward One

AB III: Still Remains (on my playlist), Make It Right, Show Me A Sign, Fallout, Breathe Again, Life Must Go On, Zero, Home

Fortress: Bleed It Dry

The Last Hero: Show Me A Leader (on my playlist), My Champion (on my playlist), Losing Patience, This Side Of Fate, You Will Be Remembered, Twilight, Island Of Fools (on my playlist), The Last Hero (on my playlist), Last Of Our Kind

Walk The Sky: Take The Crown, Indoctrination, The Bitter End, Forever Falling (on my playlist), Clear Horizon (on my playlist), Walking On The Sky, Tear Us Apart

Other available bonus tracks: Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad, Save Me, New Way To Live
A lot of people here love Burn It Down. I hate it, and I hate when songs that I hate are also unnecessarily overlong haha. I love Down to My Last though, and Shed My Skin is one of the most promising sounding AB songs you'll ever hear 30 seconds in... only to end up being "Ehh, it's aight." I don't think anyone here has a special place for Watch Your Words in their hearts here, as I skip it any time it comes up in shuffle.

Coming Home is also one of those that a lot of people on here surprisingly rank highly, whereas it's a bottom BB track for me. One By One is pretty okay but feels like AB filler, then you hit songs like Break Me Down and Wayward One... both good as far as playing through that album, but they just don't stand out with the tracks surrounding it, though if you ask anyone here, they'll say they're good. I actually think Wayward One is rather great, but with other songs on the album that surpass it, it sadly kind of gets forgotten.

I consider AB III to be "the album with no bad song," but the worst of the songs on there for me stand right next to each other at Still Remains and Make It Right. Show Me A Sign is nice (dark too) but stretches its runtime, Fallout is a great kind of filler to me, Breathe Again and Life Must Go On is a ballady sign of AB that for me is only lost with the mixing, and Zero and Home are among the better bonus tracks they've made that they might as well be a part of the album in and of itself.

Bleed It Dry is great. It does seem like one of those songs where the riffs were thought of first and lyrics were kind of just pasted above it, though. It's almost weird to think that opening riff (which I get why you might be turned off by it) is also the riff you hear in the chorus.

Show Me A Leader is weird. When they first released it, we were wondering if AB was going in the way of Myles Kennedy's work with Slash. Then we heard the intro thrown in with it, and we dug it... but most of us found that was technically the only part of the song that we cared for. Weird breaks in the chorus, a weird "Nooo nooo" thing that sounds even weirder live, and it just seemed like the first time AB was trying to push a single that I don't know if they even believed in themselves. My Champion is cheesy but a power ballad, so take for it what you will. Losing Patience would be a lot better if I didn't keep thinking of "swarm of bees" for it, This Side of Fate is fantastic and a top AB track IMO, You Will Be Remembered is also on the cheesier end... I like it a lot more than others on here who dread it. Twilight... yeah. Island of Fools is a top AB track, The Last Hero is a top AB track, and Last of Our Kind is of the worst bonus tracks they've put out.

I'm running out of time and have to go soon haha.

Take the Crown is good, but we'll leave it at that. Indoctrination is different and I love it, though I wish they did one note change different in the back end of their chorus and I'd feel a lot better about it. The Bitter End will run right next to Tear Us Apart as people's wish for those being bonus tracks, and while I agree I don't dislike them either. Forever Falling, Clear Horizon, and Walk the Sky are top AB tracks (I don't really place Clear Horizon as high as the other two, but it's a standout track for sure).

And yes, listen to New Way to Live. That fits in the Blackbird album. All I remember about Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad and Save Me is that I don't care to really need to listen to them ever again (I'm sure I will), even though I don't remember what they sound like.

I believe I speak for many others as well when I say that your ratings for The Last Hero and Walk the Sky as albums are incredibly hampered by some of the songs you haven't been able to hear on either album.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maximzub
On The Rail

Re: The Random Alter Bridge Thread

Post by maximzub »

Update: Show Me A Leader and Still Remains came up on my playlist today. I didn't like Show Me A Leader, but Still Remains was okay.

EDIT: On second thought, Show Me A Leader actually is okay. I just don't like the fact that there's a 7-string in there. Still Remains is not staying on my playlist, though.

Here's my top 10 Alter Bridge songs in case you want to know:

10. Metalingus
9. Open Your Eyes
8. Come To Life
7. The Uninvited
6. The Writing On The Wall
5. Crows On A Wire
4. Isolation
3. Cry Of Achilles
2. Watch Over You
1. Addicted To Pain

Pretty basic, right?
Last edited by maximzub on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: This would probably have more relevance if I had the "Blood Machine" rank...

Post by TenaciousBe »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I don't think anyone here has a special place for Watch Your Words in their hearts here, as I skip it any time it comes up in shuffle.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... me! I friggin LOVE Watch Your Words, it's always been one of those unsung heroes of the album to me. That opening riff is so heavy, so badass. I used to write in my friend's e-fed, and I used Watch Your Words as my wrestler's ring entrance music, and if it weren't for Edge already using Metalingus so famously, I would have loved to see someone else pick up WYW and use it for real (I just think the wrestling industry tends to shy away from re-using the same band for different wrestlers' music).
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

maximzub wrote:
Okay, here are the Alter Bridge songs that I haven't heard in full yet.

One Day Remains: Burn It Down, Down To My Last, Watch Your Words, Shed My Skin

Blackbird: Coming Home, One By One, Break Me Down, Wayward One

AB III: Still Remains (on my playlist), Make It Right, Show Me A Sign, Fallout, Breathe Again, Life Must Go On, Zero, Home

Fortress: Bleed It Dry

The Last Hero: Show Me A Leader (on my playlist), My Champion (on my playlist), Losing Patience, This Side Of Fate, You Will Be Remembered, Twilight, Island Of Fools (on my playlist), The Last Hero (on my playlist), Last Of Our Kind

Walk The Sky: Take The Crown, Indoctrination, The Bitter End, Forever Falling (on my playlist), Clear Horizon (on my playlist), Walking On The Sky, Tear Us Apart

Other available bonus tracks: Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad, Save Me, New Way To Live

I bolded the ones I feel should be a priority, Burn It Down nearly made the cut

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Changing the subject...

I'm currently working on a video compilation of all solos played by rhythm guitarists in my favorite bands. I'm still not sure of all songs that Myles plays guitar solos in, but I think I have the general idea. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Blackbird
Isolation
Cry Of Achilles
Farther Than The Sun
Fortress
Show Me A Leader
The Writing On The Wall
This Side Of Fate
Crows On A Wire
The Last Hero
Dying Light

Changing the subject again...

Alter Bridge is ever so close to becoming my second favorite band. Currently I have 44 songs each from Metallica and Alter Bridge on my main playlist, while I have 30 Metallica songs and only 16 Alter Bridge songs on my "very cool songs" playlist. (Volbeat, which is my favorite band, is still a long ways to beat.)

Changing the subject yet again...

Muffin McFluffin asked me if I've heard all of Alter Bridge's songs yet. Not yet, but I predict that by at least April I'll be through all of them. Why? Well, I discovered Volbeat in early August 2019, and finished listening through all their songs in early April 2020. I discovered Alter Bridge in early August 2020, so by early April this year, I should have them done as well.

Long post over. (Then again, it's not nearly as long as my giant facts post.)
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

The Dissident wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:24 pm I bolded the ones I feel should be a priority, Burn It Down nearly made the cut
Just heard Shed My Skin today. Awesome song!

EDIT: After I made this post, I also heard Clear Horizon, Walking On The Sky, and The Last Hero.

Shed My Skin is different from most Alter Bridge songs, but it's really happy in a way that I like. Not one of my big favorites, but a really good song nonetheless.

Clear Horizon is cool. I can't figure out the intro though, and I tend to dislike songs that are too hard for me to learn. The cool factor overpowers the hard factor, so overall I like it.

Walking On The Sky is weird, but not as weird as Dying Light (a song I don't like). I'd keep that one on my playlist as well. There's some talk about it being in Eb Standard, and some talk about it being in Drop C#, but I think it's in D Standard.

The Last Hero is definitely one of my new favorites. I listened to the Live At The Royal Albert Hall version, and the orchestra and the fact that it's live make it even better.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

It's Royal Rumble Sunday! Metalingus will be heard loud and proud as EDGE enters at #1. He might just be my pick to win it all and regain the championship he never lost ten years ago...

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Listened to Life Must Go On today. It's nothing really special to me, although I don't dislike it either.

Also, I don't understand what's all the hype about Calm The Fire. Listened to it for the second time today. I don't see anything really special about it, although I like the catchy chorus.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:23 pm Listened to Life Must Go On today. It's nothing really special to me, although I don't dislike it either.

Also, I don't understand what's all the hype about Calm The Fire. Listened to it for the second time today. I don't see anything really special about it, although I like the catchy chorus.
The intro.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:55 pm
maximzub wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:23 pm Listened to Life Must Go On today. It's nothing really special to me, although I don't dislike it either.

The intro.
That's my least favorite part. Way too many effects.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

maximzub wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:24 pm

The intro.
When you read the lyrics and hear Myles' meaning behind it, and if you like the Muse vibes, you may dig it. Otherwise, you won't.

It's sad that people can dig a song just based off its intro, though. It's a GOOD song, but not a STELLAR song. Great intro (to some), but again that can't make the entire song.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Nah it's a great song.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:24 pm

The intro.
That's the whole point of it. Deprived of them would be my least favourite section. It's quite unique for them to come up with anything like that.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:03 amWhen you read the lyrics and hear Myles' meaning behind it, and if you like the Muse vibes, you may dig it. Otherwise, you won't.

It's sad that people can dig a song just based off its intro, though. It's a GOOD song, but not a STELLAR song. Great intro (to some), but again that can't make the entire song.
I used to like Muse, but over time I got tired of them. By now, I hate them except for the song "Undisclosed Desires".

I don't dig songs based off of their intros, so I agree with you on that. My favorite part of Calm The Fire is the chorus, but I wish the drums weren't in half-time for it.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:36 am
I don't dig songs based off of their intros, so I agree with you on that. My favorite part of Calm The Fire is the chorus, but I wish the drums weren't in half-time for it.

Well, the chorus is both in half-time and in double-time and either of them seem to fit so I feel you're being snippy a little bit.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Heard Forever Falling and Down To My Last yesterday. Down To My Last is simple considering it's Alter Bridge, and I like that. On the other side, what is so special about Forever Falling?
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:22 pmOn the other side, what is so special about Forever Falling?
I guess people would consider the shared lead vocal duties between Mark and Myles to be what makes it special.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:56 pm
maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:22 pmOn the other side, what is so special about Forever Falling?
I guess people would consider the shared lead vocal duties between Mark and Myles to be what makes it special.
Mark actually sounds really "not like himself" in that song. Musically, I don't find it any more special than a lot of their epics. That's why I disagree with people calling the song as their best work since Blackbird.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:22 pm Heard Forever Falling and Down To My Last yesterday. Down To My Last is simple considering it's Alter Bridge, and I like that. On the other side, what is so special about Forever Falling?
maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:03 pmMark actually sounds really "not like himself" in that song. Musically, I don't find it any more special than a lot of their epics. That's why I disagree with people calling the song as their best work since Blackbird.
Noooo no no no no. If someone is saying that, they're high. "Walking on the sky" kind of high.

But it's great. Diverse. Clean intro, deep riff, great vocals (I'll be honest, the first time I heard it I didn't even notice Mark was singing most of the song), lyrics work, and it's quite catchy. I don't know what else to say about it, but it's a damn good track. It's the one I can go back to on this album and get a glimpse of freshness of it each time.

And yes, maybe there is something to be said about Mark's vocals and the cool blend it has with Myles in the chorus. He has come a long, long way in the past several years vocally, and I think he has showcased it in recent live performances (especially RAH) and on this song too.

In fact, I'm going to go listen to the song right now.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:15 pm
And yes, maybe there is something to be said about Mark's vocals and the cool blend it has with Myles in the chorus. He has come a long, long way in the past several years vocally, and I think he has showcased it in recent live performances (especially RAH) and on this song too.

In fact, I'm going to go listen to the song right now.
But I'd recommend to listen to this live performance. Mark's voice sounds better there than on the studio version imo.