What are you watching right now?

Talk about anything and everything here.
gbruin
MEGLADONG

Hicks, Skids, and hockey players, oh my

Post by gbruin »

I just binge watched Letterkenny and I've already started rewatching it - in part because there is so much witty and quick hitting dialog that you miss some the first time and in part because it's freaking hilarious and I love the characters. Best thing I've watched in years. Go to Hulu and watch it now. Pitter patter.

Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Is that whats yous appreciates abouts Dans?

Post by zazthespaz »

gbruin wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:21 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:13 am Just finished The Man in the High Castle on Prime. Started out great and slowly deteriorated so I am now 0 for 2 for “good media finished in 2021.”
Yup. I felt the same. Really enjoyed S1 (the opening credits scene is so freaking haunting and discouraging!) but it went downhill once they ran past the end of the book. They also never really adequately explained the multiverse angle, and you can't just put physics in a corner like that.

Bad movie rec: 365 Days.
I kinda get why the 4th/last season deteriorated so quickly, but don't know why they couldn't have given the characters, especially John, better endings, or why the BCR needed to be introduced (purely from a plot standpoint, please don't read into this anymore than that!) Is the book any better?
gbruin wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:30 pm I just binge watched Letterkenny and I've already started rewatching it - in part because there is so much witty and quick hitting dialog that you miss some the first time and in part because it's freaking hilarious and I love the characters. Best thing I've watched in years. Go to Hulu and watch it now. Pitter patter.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see you've watched this and are rewatching it. Now I can say, "It's ok Mom, my doctor friend watches this." Summer got me a shirt with an ostrich on it that says "Allegedly" and I got her a pitter patter baseball t. I think my favorite scene is the opener where the boys are playing catch and talking about Dan's sexual adventures when things take an awkward turn.

Edit: Also, been watching Arrested Development. I'm sorry for ignoring anyone who's told me to watch the show for so long. It's freaking hilarious! And not in the way a lot of sitcoms nowadays are where some dipshit sets up a punchline for another dipshit, but where the humor plays out over several scenes or the length of the episode. I love seeing the little nuances at the start of the episode turn into side splitting jokes at the end of it. Surprised my parents like it too given my humor is a little more out there than theirs is, but they ask for me to turn it on too!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: What are you watching right now?

Post by TenaciousBe »

I've been enjoying the hell out of WandaVision, great show and the sendups of each decade's sitcoms has been great - but I can't help but think I'd be getting so much more out of the show if I'd been paying attention to all the Marvel movies for the past 15 years or so. When they first started, I just wrote it off as nerd shit that I didn't need to watch to "keep up" with pop culture as it would just be this niche thing for comic fans and would go away after a few years. Erm... whoops. At least with Disney+ I could go through and catch up on all the movies now, but hot damn, there are SO MANY OF THEM. I've seen a few here and there now as I married into a nerd family halfway through this Marvel thing, and we've been to some of the movies in theaters and watched some at home, but I'm still just getting bits and pieces without the overarching storylines intact. Sigh.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I started watching “Casablanca” the other night and fell asleep before I got hold of the plot! When I get still for too long I go right into a deep coma. (Work Hard, Play Hard, Sleep Hard!)

One thing I noticed is that they all talk so fast in the film, I found it hard to follow. I will try again this week just cause it may do me some good...I took the week off!

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I've been chipping away on a few different shows... Binge watching Shameless and Lost. Currently chilling out to some Beavis and Butt-Head on Pluto TV.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Just watched Fargo season 3.... damn. That's some great TV.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

TenaciousBe wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 pm I've been enjoying the hell out of WandaVision, great show and the sendups of each decade's sitcoms has been great - but I can't help but think I'd be getting so much more out of the show if I'd been paying attention to all the Marvel movies for the past 15 years or so. When they first started, I just wrote it off as nerd shit that I didn't need to watch to "keep up" with pop culture as it would just be this niche thing for comic fans and would go away after a few years. Erm... whoops. At least with Disney+ I could go through and catch up on all the movies now, but hot damn, there are SO MANY OF THEM. I've seen a few here and there now as I married into a nerd family halfway through this Marvel thing, and we've been to some of the movies in theaters and watched some at home, but I'm still just getting bits and pieces without the overarching storylines intact. Sigh.
Just start with Iron Man and make sure to give yourself some breaks after a few films. They are good movies but can get a little samey if you just relentlessly keep watching them.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Best. Movie. Ever.

Post by gbruin »

MaraCarr wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:02 pm I started watching “Casablanca” the other night and fell asleep before I got hold of the plot! When I get still for too long I go right into a deep coma. (Work Hard, Play Hard, Sleep Hard!)

One thing I noticed is that they all talk so fast in the film, I found it hard to follow. I will try again this week just cause it may do me some good...I took the week off!
Well as the plot is spelled out in the intro scene...

With the coming the Second World War, many eyes in imprisoned Europe turned hopefully, or desperately, toward the freedom of the Americas. Lisbon became the great embarkation point but not everybody could get to Lisbon directly, so a tortuous roundabout refugee trail sprang up: Paris to Marseilles, across the Mediterranean to Oran, and then by train, or auto, or foot across the rim of Africa to Casablanca in French Morocco. Here, the fortunate ones, through money or influence or luck, might obtain exit Visas and scurry to Lisbon and from Lisbon to the New World. But the others wait in Casablanca, and wait, and wait...

...you must have crashed pretty quickly :lol ;)

Thus begins the saga of a particular couple trying to escape the Nazis and who find their fate in the hands of a former anti-fascist who has devolved into an embittered and disinterested alcoholic who is still stewing over a secret tie to the couple's past.

Pay special attention to Louie, the locally appointed Prefect of Police. His lines and his banter with Rick are hilarious.
Last edited by gbruin on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Best. Movie. Ever.

Post by MaraCarr »

gbruin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:31 pm
MaraCarr wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:02 pm I started watching “Casablanca” the other night and fell asleep before I got hold of the plot! When I get still for too long I go right into a deep coma. (Work Hard, Play Hard, Sleep Hard!)

With the coming the Second World War, many eyes in imprisoned Europe turned hopefully, or desperately, toward the freedom of the Americas. Lisbon became the great embarkation point but not everybody could get to Lisbon directly, so a tortuous roundabout refugee trail sprang up: Paris to Marseilles, across the Mediterranean to Oran, and then by train, or auto, or foot across the rim of Africa to Casablanca in French Morocco. Here, the fortunate ones, through money or influence or luck, might obtain exit Visas and scurry to Lisbon and from Lisbon to the New World. But the others wait in Casablanca, and wait, and wait...

Thus begins the saga of a particular couple trying to escape the Nazis and who find their fate in the hands of a former anti-fascist who has devolved into an embittered alcoholic, still stewing over a secret tie to the couple's past.

Pay special attention to Louie, the locally appointed Prefect of Police. His lines and his banter with Rick are hilarious.
Oh wow...I loved your detail! :hug Thank you so much. Please be aware ...I may ask questions.
I crashed when they were talking so fast at the dinner table...after the airplanes. I kept thinking ...Im so tired ...I cant keep up with them...then I was out like a light. :)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

MaraCarr wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:00 pm
gbruin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:31 pm

Thus begins the saga of a particular couple trying to escape the Nazis and who find their fate in the hands of a former anti-fascist who has devolved into an embittered alcoholic, still stewing over a secret tie to the couple's past.

Oh wow...I loved your detail! :hug Thank you so much. Please be aware ...I may ask questions.
I crashed when they were talking so fast at the dinner table...after the airplanes. I kept thinking ...Im so tired ...I cant keep up with them...then I was out like a light. :)
Oh yeah, ask anything!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

[/quote]
Oh yeah, ask anything!
[/quote]

You just made ....watching this movie so much better! :cloud9 :hug

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Zack Snyder’s Justice League.

Holy shit!! Such a better movie than the previous garbage Whedon gave us.
Photobucket cash grab.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Pretty sure my wife already knew she could have matched better than me.

Post by gbruin »

Been watching The One on Netflix, a pretty cool series adapted from a book about a company that discovers a segment in each person's genetic code that allows a person to match with the perfect mate. It's well made, and it's pretty entertaining and thought provoking.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

WWE Fastlane is tonight.

...The most inferior, useless pay-per-view of the calender year. Always getting in the way of Wrestlemania just because EVERY month needs a PPV... Even if it's just to kill time and rehash the same matches we've seen every week since the Royal Rumble...

Roman Reigns vs Daniel Bryan with Edge as a guest enforcer/referee is gonna be killer.
Braun Strowman is gonna eat Shane MacMahon for lunch.
And I do believe that "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt will be making his return to murder Randy Orton...

Had to buy a six pack for this one. It's gonna be a weird night.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Is that whats yous appreciates abouts Dans?

Post by Ubik »

zazthespaz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:55 pm Edit: Also, been watching Arrested Development. I'm sorry for ignoring anyone who's told me to watch the show for so long. It's freaking hilarious! And not in the way a lot of sitcoms nowadays are where some dipshit sets up a punchline for another dipshit, but where the humor plays out over several scenes or the length of the episode. I love seeing the little nuances at the start of the episode turn into side splitting jokes at the end of it. Surprised my parents like it too given my humor is a little more out there than theirs is, but they ask for me to turn it on too!
Have you got onto season 4 yet? I saw the first 3 before 4 and 5 came out and have always been worried that they'll tarnish it in my memory, so would be interesting hearing what you think if you're getting through them all at once.
gbruin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:31 pm Pay special attention to Louie, the locally appointed Prefect of Police. His lines and his banter with Rick are hilarious.
Claude Rains is one of the best supporting actors ever, just godly.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Such a simply sublime subject citation, son.

Post by gbruin »

That may be the best subject line ever, Ubik.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: i.e. Letterkenny is in Canada. WTFFFFFFFFF

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:55 pm Edit: Also, been watching Arrested Development. I'm sorry for ignoring anyone who's told me to watch the show for so long. It's freaking hilarious! And not in the way a lot of sitcoms nowadays are where some dipshit sets up a punchline for another dipshit, but where the humor plays out over several scenes or the length of the episode. I love seeing the little nuances at the start of the episode turn into side splitting jokes at the end of it. Surprised my parents like it too given my humor is a little more out there than theirs is, but they ask for me to turn it on too!
Have you got onto season 4 yet? I saw the first 3 before 4 and 5 came out and have always been worried that they'll tarnish it in my memory, so would be interesting hearing what you think if you're getting through them all at once.
Yeah just started season 4 this past weekend. It's a noticeable change from the previous 3 seasons and I don't really like it. Still funny stuff and glad to watch, but I really liked how everyone had their own independent story going on that would all come together in a humorous way at the end of every episode. Now it seems like they focus on just a few characters and one or two storylines. Also hasn't been much of George Michael and Maeby yet and they had some of my favorite scenes! I'm hoping they come back more. Is that a general consensus or just me?

Also, unrelated to plot, I read about Jeffrey Tambor's blowup on Jessica Walter and that kinda put a damper on my enjoyment :( I should really stop reading about shows before I finish them. I always end up reading spoilers I regret.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

As if I needed anything else to watch, I've finally made the commitment to start Dragon Ball Super... I've watched DBZ in it's entirety twice and have been putting off watching Super for years. The first few episodes have flown by and got me hooked! Beerus is adorable!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: i'm too lazy to change them

Post by Ubik »

zazthespaz wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:18 pm Yeah just started season 4 this past weekend. It's a noticeable change from the previous 3 seasons and I don't really like it. Still funny stuff and glad to watch, but I really liked how everyone had their own independent story going on that would all come together in a humorous way at the end of every episode. Now it seems like they focus on just a few characters and one or two storylines. Also hasn't been much of George Michael and Maeby yet and they had some of my favorite scenes! I'm hoping they come back more. Is that a general consensus or just me?

Also, unrelated to plot, I read about Jeffrey Tambor's blowup on Jessica Walter and that kinda put a damper on my enjoyment :( I should really stop reading about shows before I finish them. I always end up reading spoilers I regret.

Possibly my favourite example of that. Love George Michael! I now can't hear the word "manager" without correcting in my head to "Mr Manager."

Yeah Tambor's unfortunately a bit of a prick. Didn't he guest on Archer for a few eps as well?
gbruin wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 am That may be the best subject line ever, Ubik.
Yup, that was definitely me that wrote that! Totally me...
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

You can't be serious! But it is!

Post by gbruin »

We just watched Never Have I Ever on Netflix. It's a comedy/drama series about an Indian American family living in suburban Los Angeles and centered on the social and cultural misadventures of the family's high school daughter. Incredibly, and in retrospect perfectly, tennis hall of famer John McEnroe is the narrator. It's an adorable series and pretty freaking hysterical.