Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by scarecrow »

i'm confused, are we pretty sure this is a tremonti song? or do i have it backwards?

edit: wait i think i got it - it's a kennedy song and mark brought in a different song called 'king' :peace

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Still been listening to it on repeat all day.

The whole midsection fucking slaps. 2:52-4:25 :cloud9 :rockon

Ronn Drummer
Brand New Start

Post by Ronn Drummer »

Wow, it’s been years, but here we go again, a new AB album is on the way!

As the first single, I think it’s a very strong choice, considering it’s the first time that an “epic” and a last track is the first single of an AB record.

However, and after a lot of listens, speaking of songs longer than 6 mins, it is to me the weakest of all of them.

>> The best parts:
- The silent intro, and then boom!
- The verses, I simply love the energy and speed.
- The bridge, by far the best part of the song.
- The entire song is a journey through different senses and feelings.

>> The weakest parts:
- The chorus, although it’s catchy, it feels lazy, with not enough power for an epic, and it hasn’t that growing feeling and power you can feel in other chorus songs like Cry Of Achilles, Blackbird or The Last Hero.
- Sometimes it feels monotonous sounding, with not enough notes changes.

For me, it feels like The Last Hero meets Dying Light. The song it never grows completely on me until the bridge, but after the Myles and Mark solos, the song comes back to the chorus, and the grow never happens to the end of the song.

A decent and strong song overall, but not the best of the band IMO (at least it’s not in my personal top 10).

BUT I think it’s a good signal that the first single it’s like this, because that could means the rest of the record will be outstanding :headbang
The simple man receiving, defending every crime
Somehow still believing they're alright, so hypnotized...

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:59 pm Still been listening to it on repeat all day.

The whole midsection fucking slaps. 2:52-4:25 :cloud9 :rockon
Once the midsection starts, I just start headbanging. I’ve also had it on repeat all day. Not tired of it yet. So so so good.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Sick, I'm glad yall are enjoyin it that much

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

I was kind of bummed out with WTS. There’s only a few songs I actually liked off that record and I don’t often listen to it as much as the other records so I’ve really been missing this side of AB. I’m glad they released this song first because it scratched my itch in a way.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

Loving this single. WYR through me off so much at first with the awkward chorus wit the first few listens. Obviously now it’s easy to sing along too but I remember the first handful of times I was like “this is the chorus”? Still can’t believe Native Son wasn’t the first single off WTS.

Loving Pawns & Kings and can’t wait for October 14th! Hoping 1 more song gets released before then, 2 max. If it’s more I won’t listen until release.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

scarecrow wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:31 pm i'm confused, are we pretty sure this is a tremonti song? or do i have it backwards?

edit: wait i think i got it - it's a kennedy song and mark brought in a different song called 'king' :peace
Yeah, to me the songwriting and sound is a lot like The Last Hero (the song) which was a Myles song. That’s why I concluded that Pawns & Kings, or at least the bulk of it as I’m sure Mark and the band had a great input as well, is a Myles song

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I do like this fellow on YouTube. He just sits there and faces the camera, listens to the song, then gives his input. Very little of the fake shtick some folks employ on their channels.

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

In other words, "I hope the whole album will be full of watered down, radio friendly stuff just like the rest of today's modern rock scene does cause 6:16 is too long for a song'?
No - I would like to hear a fresh approach for a first single not a meltdown of the past.
I know both (Myles & Mark) are capable of "doing things different" in their solo projects. So why not wiping of the dust? But that is just my opinion.

The complete album "Marching In Time" did it for me then. But the choice of first single "If Not For You" wouldn't have made me buy it.

"Won't Stand Down" by Muse is good example for a great choice. Electronical Beats mixed heavy riffing. You did not know what to expect at first listen.

I will buy and listen to the new album nevertheless :bow

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

It's a bit of a 'weird' choice for a first single for me. Maybe they didn't have an obvious 'first single' on the album like they sometimes have.
Either way, I like the song a lot. It's a song that's made for fans like me. Also - always the hot take on this forum - the mixing/production sounds great imo, especially when you directly compare with WTS. Very curious to hear the rest of the album! :-)

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

After about 6 or 7 listens, it's not quite grabbing me. The main riff and the chorus don't stick with me like my fave AB songs. 'Tis a fine choice for a first single though and shows some commitment to this concept/project. Looking forward to the album for sure.

Mullet151
Brand New Start

Post by Mullet151 »

I am really enjoying this song. I love the last hero song vibes this one gives off. The mid section break down through mini trade off solos is pure rock gold. :rockon The chorus is doing what its supposed to and has really grown on me. I like a lot of the clever lyrics in the post solo sections. I appreciate them doing something different and releasing this one first. Even if its not my favorite epic or in my top 10 tracks this song has staying power and checks a ton of boxes for me and why AB is still my fav band some 15 yrs later.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

The more I listen, the more I love this song. Myles is brilliant on this. He’s got that fire back. His voice is just so beautiful. The chorus is amazing. I love that they used different takes on it.

It’s definitely got that Elvis, over-polished, signature style that maybe I would appreciate another producers perspective on... But the execution is well done on this one. It doesn’t sound like a mess of noise like on WTS. It’s super clean cut, but there’s a certain “natural” flow to this one that I hope they’ve figured out for the rest of the record.

Super excited for October. This is a great sign.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

psycosquirrel789 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:34 pm Myles is brilliant on this. He’s got that fire back.
Not sure if I agree.

As much as I love Myles’ voice generally, I can’t say he’s particularly pleasant to listen to on this one. Maybe it’s my old age but my ears really appreciate the breakdown after nearly 3 minutes of Myles’ hollering :lol - I sent the song to two friends of mine who dig AB but find Myles a bit exhausting to listen to sometimes, and both of them turned it off before the 3 minute mark :/

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Totally get it. His voice is super polarizing. But he brought tons of subtly, passion and power that I didn’t feel on WTS.

Every time the chorus hits, I smile like a little kid. Then the fun riffs take over and I get excited and inspired. I love every part of this song.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Potentially popular opinion:

When that section in the bridge really kicks off, that might be one of my favorite AB “headbanging” moments.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:22 pm Potentially popular opinion:

When that section in the bridge really kicks off, that might be one of my favorite AB “headbanging” moments.
Oh it's great, but my head just about flies off my body every time I listen to the post-solo breakdown on The Last Hero. :headbang

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

WaywardOne wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:32 pm
AB4Lyfe wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:22 pm Potentially popular opinion:

Oh it's great, but my head just about flies off my body every time I listen to the post-solo breakdown on The Last Hero. :headbang
That was my comparison, too. The Last Hero’s bridge is my favorite moment on that entire record.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Edit: Hooray, double post…