Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Crumbso »

Actually, my maths is all jacked up there but if you get what I mean.

EDIT: I've edited the original now.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dolo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:00 am
Crumbso wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:53 am
Dolo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:50 am Those are two completely different things. If there's a change from 6/4 to 4/4, it's a time signature change, not a tempo change, not even technically. It's just about how many quarter notes are in one measure, not how many beats per minute.
Not so. If you're playing 4/4 and then switch to 6/8 (6/4 is a typo) but keeping the same complimentary feel then the BPM will change to 0.75 of its original value. I haven't checked the dust example though so might not apply.
You're confusing tempo with rhythm. Obviously, a measure of 6/8 is shorter than a measure of 4/4, and yeah, technically 6/8 is 75% of 4/4 but it's still played at the same tempo.
I don't think I am. I guess it depends on how you count a 'beat' in 6/8 but if a beat is a quarter note then to keep the complimentary feel but take what I mean with Toxic Garbage Island from Gojira:

That is both a time signature and a tempo/BPM change yet it retains the same bar length and accent feel between the verses and chorus section.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

The time signature changes and the tempo changes are independent. It's just that in this song Gojira chose to switch both of those at the same time. Not really sure which sections are you referring to but at 0:55 you have a time signature (from 4/4 to 9/8 I believe) AND a tempo change (from 152 to 145). What I'm saying is that a time signature change doesn't equal a tempo change. I could be jamming in 4/4 at 120 BPM and then switch to 6/8 at 120 BPM and the tempo remains the same.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Dolo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:32 am The time signature changes and the tempo changes are independent. It's just that in this song Gojira chose to switch both of those at the same time. Not really sure which sections are you referring to but at 0:55 you have a time signature (from 4/4 to 9/8 I believe) AND a tempo change (from 152 to 145). What I'm saying is that a time signature change doesn't equal a tempo change. I could be jamming in 4/4 at 120 BPM and then switch to 6/8 at 120 BPM and the tempo remains the same.
I concur, this is correct

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I never said they were the same thing. I'm just saying that it is often done.

The example from Gojira is switching from 4/4 to 6/8, but changing the tempo to maintain a constant pulse which, if Dust does do it, would also equal a tempo change as I don't hear in changes in pulse throughout. I think it's a fairly common necessity for changing time signatures without things being jarring unless you're just inserting a bar of X time signature for interest. EDIT: In fact, Marching in Time does it between the verse and the first pre-chorus.

Massively OT now but I think there's some crossed wires in communication here so sod it.

I wonder what's next in store for us from this album?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Feels a bit like what Tremonti did for ADM - released the title track first to show the album's vibe, then a more standard radio type single a week or two later with Take You With Me. My guess from the descriptions would still be Silver Tongue if they go that route.
For all of the hope that it brings...

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

:shrug :mtrocks
Last edited by joshuabeau on Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

joshuabeau wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:05 pm Looks like Silver Tongue may actually be the next release.
How do you know?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Timotheus wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:55 am
cheesedip1 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:35 am Yeah I think PAK is at least a 6, but I’m not sure if I’m amazed or anything.

Time will tell, but sometimes I think the song is draggy. It keeps the same tempo the whole song and doesn’t change it up with things like slower or faster drumming a whole lot.
In terms of BPM? I think there's only one AB song that completely changed it's pace, and that's Fortress. Maybe Show Me A Leader and Calm The Fire with its intros. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But here you have two completely different rhythms in the verses (snare part and normal part), the bridge has the blast parts with the stops, half-time during the solos, etc...I'd say rhythmically this is one of the more varied AB songs.
Yes, definitely Fortress. Schlip To The Void also.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Fortress changes tempo for the breakdown and the solos and then back for the clean section and the last chorus.
Show Me a Leader goes up after the intro, before the main riff.

Slip and Calm the Fire don't do that IMO.

But yeah, we're digressing.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Trenthetfield
Brand New Start

Post by Trenthetfield »

Ubik wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:12 am Feels a bit like what Tremonti did for ADM - released the title track first to show the album's vibe, then a more standard radio type single a week or two later with Take You With Me. My guess from the descriptions would still be Silver Tongue if they go that route.
Can you link to these descriptions please?

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Trenthetfield wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:19 am
Ubik wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:12 am Feels a bit like what Tremonti did for ADM - released the title track first to show the album's vibe, then a more standard radio type single a week or two later with Take You With Me. My guess from the descriptions would still be Silver Tongue if they go that route.
Can you link to these descriptions please?
“Silver Tongue” is backed by a punishing intro riff that gives way to one of the band’s most infectious choruses as Myles Kennedy sings, “Truth of a crime. You can’t outrun. Under the spell of my silver tongue,”

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

So will “Silver Tongue” be another ambiguous political message song?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

https://easyupload.io/q6t5kz - Pawns & Kings half step up from the original recording
Made this for guitar learning purposes and thought I'd upload it just for the lolz. Myles sounds weird on this one.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

scalthom
Brand New Start

Post by scalthom »

Mr. Slash wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:41 pm
joshuabeau wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:05 pm Looks like Silver Tongue may actually be the next release.
How do you know?
This is war is probably the next single or will most likely be one of the singles based on it being the only alter bridge merch besides pawns and kings featuring another song. (Check their website for the this is war hoodie).

Something tells me the short snippet of sound alter bridge placed on social media last week previewing the pawns and kings announcement is the intro to this is war. The distortion almost sounds like helicopters approaching. Image

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Okay i gotta admit PAK sounds a lot better through speakers. Kinda like how i thought the last hero sounded better live.

Listening to PAK using my iphone with ipod white earbuds (with the cord and everything, i dont have airpods) through a Youtube video....well it just sucks sound wise. The quality sucks.

the Song makes a better impression now that im using good speakers.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

luke62 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:35 am So will “Silver Tongue” be another ambiguous political message song?
How do we know it's political?

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Or DCIII

Post by zazthespaz »

WaywardOne wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:14 pm
luke62 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:35 am So will “Silver Tongue” be another ambiguous political message song?
How do we know it's political?
He was just asking if it was, never said it was going to be political for sure.

Although given how PaK can be viewed as having political themes to it, the fact that the band was “angry” when writing this album, and I’m willing to bet the silver tongue isn’t a reference to an unfaithful lover, I’d say there’s a good chance it’ll be political.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: Or DCIII

Post by Dan Dando »

zazthespaz wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:47 pm the fact that the band was “angry” when writing this album
This never fails to make me chuckle. If the band wrote together with a theme emerging as a result, then I could understand “Alter Bridge is angry again” (Tim’s words). But we all know how Mark and Myles operate creatively. They don’t write together before they convene. I doubt Flip and Brian turned up angry, they just added their parts to the best of whatever was brought before them. The theme of any record these guys make together is complete happenstance.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: /sarcasm

Post by zazthespaz »

Dan Dando wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:59 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:47 pm the fact that the band was “angry” when writing this album
This never fails to make me chuckle. If the band wrote together with a theme emerging as a result, then I could understand “Alter Bridge is angry again” (Tim’s words). But we all know how Mark and Myles operate creatively. They don’t write together before they convene. I doubt Flip and Brian turned up angry, they just added their parts to the best of whatever was brought before them. The theme of any record these guys make together is complete happenstance.
I have it on good authority that they made each band member angry before recording. Apparently all it took for Flip to get mad was Elvis holding a finger in front of him and saying “I’m not touching you,” for 20 seconds and he got enraged.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says